Quarantine on visitors from abroad?

Yeah, I'm not sure they've really thought it through. Dublin would need about 100k extra bed spaces to accommodate current arrival numbers at Dublin airport for 14 days. Testing is unlikely to become sensitive enough to detect the virus in the first few days of infection so you then have the challenge of how to stop these hotels becoming hotbeds of transmission with more infected people leaving them than arrive.
We could send them all over the country and fill up all the hotels. Sure what harm could come of that? :p

Is it true that Greece have designated hotels and other places for the arriving people, who are tested at the airport . They get their results in two days and depending on the results they either carry on with their holiday or stay there for the 14 days. I heard that this was the case but i am not sure if it is true. It would be worth hearing from someone who has come back from there. So it might be an option if it is successful there.

Is it true that Greece have designated hotels and other places for the arriving people, who are tested at the airport .

No, it isn't. Current measures state you must complete a passenger locator form (PLF) 24+ hours in advance of stating where you will be staying, you will have to present the QR code generated on arrival where you go through screening. Some will be selected for a COVID-19 test. Once tested they will be allowed exit the airport as normal, but will he asked to self-isolate at the address provided on the PLF for ~24 hours until they receive the test results.

At last the Green list countries published

The countries are: Malta, Finland, Norway, Italy. Hungary, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Cyprus, Slovakia/Greece, Greenland, Gibraltar, Monaco, San Marino.

Actually a good choice and fairly sensible, it was daft to even consider going like New Zealand a group of islands out in the middle of the pacific, we are in the EU whether we like it or not.

I'm not sure why they bothered to include San Marino, Gibraltar, Greenland and Monaco. Most people would need to fly to Spain to get to Gibraltar. Fly to France to get to Monaco. Greenland but not Iceland. I suppose they wanted to make the list look longer and more impressive.

And still the Gov say it should only be for essential travel. So I do not think insurance will cover non essential travel even to any of these, green, countries.

I'm not sure why they bothered to include San Marino, Gibraltar, Greenland and Monaco. Most people would need to fly to Spain to get to Gibraltar. Fly to France to get to Monaco. Greenland but not Iceland. I suppose they wanted to make the list look longer and more impressive.
Maybe they were just selecting countries and territories based on their infection rate.

Well actually it is people coming from these parts that are exempted but I take your point. It seems the height of silliness to include, say, San Marino. In fact San Marino has the highest death rate in the World according to the official survey. Okay it has possibly flattened its curve. All the same 1 death tomorrow would be equivalent to 150 deaths in Ireland.
Take France. It is split into over 80 departments, all of which are vastly more populous than San Marino. The vast majority of these Departments are in a far better place re COVID than Ireland yet they are all out of bounds whilst San Marino, Monaco, Gibraltar make the cut. Go figure.

Take France. It is split into over 80 departments, all of which are vastly more populous than San Marino. The vast majority of these Departments are in a far better place re COVID than Ireland yet they are all out of bounds whilst San Marino, Monaco, Gibraltar make the cut. Go figure.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you but our previous experience in Italy with regional level restrictions didn't work out too well... Unless a country has strong restrictions on moving between regions it makes sense to assess them at national level.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you but our previous experience in Italy with regional level restrictions didn't work out too well... Unless a country has strong restrictions on moving between regions it makes sense to assess them at national level.
Well I accept that to discriminate between different French Departments is not a practical proposition. But the idea of a separate treatment of folk who come from San Marino or Monaco or Gibraltar is also most impractical as well as being entirely irrelevant.

Well I accept that to discriminate between different French Departments is not a practical proposition. But the idea of a separate treatment of folk who come from San Marino or Monaco or Gibraltar is also most impractical as well as being entirely irrelevant.

San Marino safe - it borders green country Italy.
Monaco is a bit of a grey area as it borders Italy (green) and France (not green). Given it's quasi status as part of France I think it should have been excluded.
Gibraltar only accessible from Ireland via Spain or UK, should have been excluded.

I'm still very confused. It seems that places like Gibraltar, Monaco and San Marino have their own passports which distinguish them from say French departments which do not have different passports. So putting Italy on a Green list does not automatically include San Marino or The Vatican even though these are in Italy. This emphasis on the passport would seem to suggest that it is the citizenship of the traveller that matters rather than of where they have come from.
But that is not what the regulations say. They distinctly refer to people entering from countries on the Green list into Ireland. Nobody (except possibly Purple) enters Ireland from Monaco, San Marino, Gibraltar or Greenland. The Real Taoiseach was right, they shouldn't have bothered with this Green list.

... San Marino or The Vatican even though these are in Italy.

They're not though. One is a separate republic and the other is a distinct city state

Just on the travel question, I believe they look at the origination of a journey. So if you fly to Dublin via Heathrow, you are treated from where you start - not UK. As far as I know

If you are only in the airport terminal you are not judged to have been in the airport country.
But if you go through customs at the airport, then get a train from that country to another country, you are judged to have been in the airport country.

Leo varadker has said that you can now travel to green list countries also for non essential reasons. Also some insurance companies say they will cover green list countries. Obviously the government realizes they have to start opening the country to travel and the safest European countries are the first step

Just noting that in France, on-the-spot testing will be rolled out for travellers arriving in France from 16 high-risk countries.

Back