Quality Bargain TVs in the sales

Troy McClure

Had a look around on St Stephens day for a bargain TV. Was looking for around the 42" size mark. The best I thought was a Panasonic Plasma 3D full HD 42" TV in Powercity that had 2 sets of glasses and 5 year warrranty for 600 Euro. Nothing else really jumped out at me. Anyone come across anything really good value or have an opinion on the above?

I have an older model panasonic plasma, 3.5 yrs, very happy with it.
I (still) prefer plasma to lcd, but the led TVs look good too. I think plasma is heaviest on electricity, but probably only a factor if you're a heavy user.
I think 3D is a fad, so personally wouldn't pay any more for this. Assume it doesn't compromise the 2D picture?
Depending on how much of a TV/film buff you are, and what your viewing distance will be, it might be worth comparing the picture with the €430 HD ready model.

I bought a Hannspree in Supervalue just before Christmas. 42inch LCD, digital etc. Stunning picture quality. Have TV3 now for first time. Reliability is now my only worry. 400€ all but a cent. They also had 40in LED at same price.

I bought a Hannspree in Supervalue just before Christmas. 42inch LCD, digital etc. Stunning picture quality. Have TV3 now for first time. Reliability is now my only worry. 400€ all but a cent. They also had 40in LED at same price.

Have to say I would have went with the LED on that match up. As for my first post. Curry's had this model on display where I was in today and I have to say I though the 3D was brilliant. My only gripe is I thought the screen looked a little dark through the glasses. That said They were selling it for 570 with a 1 year warranty and NO glasses. Panasonic glasses are over 90 quid a pop!. This would suggest the deal in my first post is a v good one. Might take this up a notch!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I was told that all the high end panels would be 3D anyway, even if you don't use it. dunno how true that is.

Hard to pick a TV though as the signal they use in shops is sooo poor.

Why do you think this? You think this for TV's or all goods?

I assume RMCF's post concerns the annual release cycle of TV models. Most companies demo their 2012 models at CES in early January. My understanding is that old models then get cleared out by February/March to make room for the newer stock. Do stores further reduce in Feb what they didn't manage to flog in the Jan sales?

We're looking at getting our first new telly in 12 years. It's 190 off pre-sales price at the mo. But up until 24th of December there was 150 cashback plus 50 Euro movie download credit with it. So no difference really. But the list price of the TV was 190 for the minimum number of weeks so they can still legally call it a sale :( We plan to wait out until Feb if we have the cojones and hope the price drops further. Any industry insiders or people with previous Feb bargain experiences out there?

I was hinting more than very few people will be buying TVs (and lots of other things) come Feb or March, and the shops will be discounting stock heavily.

Just look at how TVs have dropped in price over the last 12 months, probably due to 3Ds appearing on the scene. TVs are so cheap now its frightening, but I have no doubt that come MArch or April they will be even cheaper again.

There's a recession on you know, and it may be a depression come the Spring.

Back