Qualified adult or Jobseeker?

nomorejob

Long time AAM poster but needed to go under cover for few things...

I will be made redundant in the next few weeks. I meet all the conditions to claim jobseeker's benefit. As my wife was a stay-at-home mum, I (we) was getting her homecarer's tax credit.
Because of this change, we are now both actively looking for jobs to optimise the family's chances of getting an income from employment.

In the mean time, i am wondering what is best in terms of social welfare
1- I claim JB with my wife as a qualified adult
2- I claim JB and she also claims either JA or JB (not sure which one would apply in her case. She worked 10 years , and have been homecarer for the last 4 years).
3-any other option?

Thanks

If your wife had sufficient PRSI contributions to qualify for JB, then she would be entitled to the personal rate - which is higher than the Qualified Adult rate. As she's been out of the workforce for some time, she may not qualify for JB though.

If your wife isn't entitled to JB then she may qualify for JA. It's means-tested and she will not receive any more than you would for her as a Qualified Adult. Depending on savings, etc, she may receive less than you would get for her on your claim.

(2008 rates for JA and JB - Personal Rate 198.80, Qualified Adult rate 131.30)
There would be additional payments for children (currently 24 per child per week) which would be divided between both claims.

The other advantage of your spouse signing on is that in the longer term, there may be options available to her, such as Back to Eucation schemes, FAs course, etc..) Thes would not be available if she is not on the live register.

Back