Qs re. building by direct labour.

Mr Ed

1. First - are we mad to consider it? (have a toddler and a baby)
2. We don't really have any contacts....
3. We don't know anything about building so wouldn't know what to be looking out for - are there any books or websites that could help? (obviously we would have an engineer, but I like to be on top of things myself too if at all possible)
4. Any other advice?

Thanks a mil, Mr Ed

Re: Qs re. building by direct labour - please help!

yes, Mr Ed....

if you have no construction background, then you would probably be mad...

building by direct labour means that you are taking on th erole of the building contractor... any mistakes will be on your head..

i often use the analogy of going into a car salesroom.... you would never say to the salesman, look just give me the parts and ill build it myself, would you????

there a distinct lack of respect for construction in this country.... especially with the current atmosphere of energy efficiency...

you should try to be on top of things yourself as the client, but do not expect to know how every bolt is supposed to be connected, or every detail is formed..... hire a good architect to 'supervise' the work if thats the route you want to go down......

Thanks Syd, all feedback appreciated. Obviously it's the thought of saving a bit of dosh going direct that's tempting....

i appreciate that the bottom line is most attractive, but you also have to remember that its the contractors job to ensure that the build runs somothly, the construction is correct and to the best workmanship, and that all regulations and requirements are met.....

percieved savings can quickly turn into over costs due to bador wrong workmanship.. and if you cannot recognise problems before they happen, then the costs to repair them comes from your pocket..... whereas if you hire a contractor it comes from his pocket....

if you really want to go down the 'direct labour' route, i would highly advise to get full working drawings for your dwelling done by your architect... remember that planning drawings are not construction drawings...... also get a full detailed specification, and if possible a full bill of quantites.... also hire an architect / engineer in a 'supervisory' capacity, not just the 'periodic inspections to draw down mortgages'...

i can only say that from my experience direct labour builds are not to a standard of workmanship than those of contractors.. generally because the client in most cases doesnt recognise poor workmanship....

As a general rule, I would suggest that the "savings" you think are there going down the direct labour route would evaporate unless you have a) a well-stocked contact book b) a very deep knowledge of what you're getting yourself into c) limitless time for your build.

As a suggestion, why not aim for a "shell" build? This is a watertight shell, with services etc. ready for you to get second fix done. This allows you to do finishes etc. whilst the major dependencies are managed by your main contractor.

When all is said and done building a house is no different than any other project, and that requires a skilled and experienced PM. If you have no experience in that field, then you will fail and it will cost you more in the end.

SSE

I fail to see what the fuss is about. There are different aspects to direct labour. As sse suggests, you can get the groundworks done, get a shell built, then get a roofer to do the roof, plasterers to do the plastering, electrician and plumber, carpenter. etc. etc. (Not necessarily in that order!). There are many websites that go through the process (lots of good ones in the UK on "self-build"). I would stick to clump jobs and avoid having to specifically hire some trades (e.g. you don't want to be directly hiring brickies to do the footings, and then to do the walls and trying to co-ordinate them with the guy pouring the foundations).

What you do need to do is to bone up on what order things need to be done in, what time each job should take, how to order materials (although a good relationship with a local builder's provider is essential), how to make sure they get on site when there are people to unload them (if they need to be unloaded by hand!), what things need to be ordered very early (phone and electric in particular), what you need to provide for each job (e.g. the scaffolding for the internal/external plastering) etc.

You will probably spend months planning for the build, only to be let down by various tradesmen at key moments, so keep in mind that your carefully worked out plan will fall to pieces as soon as it engages the enemy; however, if you have done your homework, you will know the impact of your roofer having fallen off the roof of his previous job, and a replacement not being available for two months!

Engage an engineer to not only do the drawings, but to do a supervision of each stage. It may be worth engaging someone (a retired builder?) to come and cast his beady eye over your plans and to keep an eye on how things are going.

You can expect to spend all your time on site - if you are not there, work will sometimes not happen!

Hi Mr. Ed,

There are some previous threads on self-build if you run the search option in this forum or use this.

You could also have a look at www.iaosb.com or [broken link removed]

Hi,

Just to update you (as a similar question was posed yesterday). We are now considering building by direct labour but getting a company to project manage it for us.

We were told we'd save approx 15% on the build (of 250Kish) so that's about 37K.

Their fee is 10K and we were told we'd have to pay 3K for insurance if we go down that route, so overall saving of 24K. However I reckon we could save even more than that again with a bit of haggling...

Thanks for all the replies,

Mr Ed

MrEd, will the company you are getting to project manage your build also be repsonsible for sourcing the various trades or are you doing that??

Yes. Although knowing me I'll do a bit of it myself

First off, you dont need a degree in Construction to do a self build, you don't need limitless time and you don't need limitless contacts.

From my own selfbuild I don't have a degree or anything in construction, I never was involved in building before this, I just had a willingness to learn and get stuck in.
Time wise, unless you are intending to do the jobs yourself you could be talking average about 3-4 hours a day to get organised on the build and follow tradesmen. this will vary up and down depending on the stages.

As regards contacts, I had 1, the blocklayer, the rest I sourced and got references of their work.

As for the builder and "the construction is correct and to the best workmanship, and that all regulations and requirements are met....." your having a laugh, have ye actually been into many houses lately, just read threads on here and other boards to see how good the workmanship is. Not getting at your statement, but go to any new house and I guarantee you will loads and load of issues with the build.

Mr Ed, I would be causious about the PM crowd, if you are going to have to source the trademen, you will also need an engineer to sign off the drawdowns and the planning, so what exactly is the PM company doing?? It seems a lot for what exactly?
I dont want to sound condesending but make sure they are not ripping you off.

Yop I see what you're saying. Time is a huge issue to us as we both work full time and have 2 children under 2 and that is why we are considering a PM. I had no intention of paying the 10K - but it was just worst case scenario figures. For us I think it's definitely a viable option.

Mr Ed, time thn really is not something you have, but in saying that I have a friend who was in a very similar situation as yourself, family wise, who undertook a self build, took him 18 months to complete.

Also the distance from your current home/work to the new build is important, if you have to travel an hour to get to the build then an hour home, then a self build will again be difficult.

IF the PM company will undertake the getting of quotes, supervision and planning of the trades, organising of material for the trades, organising of services etc then your 10k is well worth it.

For your self build as I said you will need a least 1 hour per day to organise the trades or check the work, this as I said could be 3 or 4 hours some days, but its nearer the 1 hour.
You need be on the end of the phone to receive calls, you really need to be able to be at your site within 30-40 minutes, in case, again rare, you are needed to over see a work, your advice is needed, you need to sign for a delivery.
You need to be able to organise trades, ring them and meet them to get quotes, see their work.
You need to be able to go to trade suppliers to organise materials.
You need to be able to willing to help out if needed. It does happen, rare again.

The question also you need to ask yourself, do you have the interest in the build, the willingness for the hassle and the couple of hours per day to spare, if you dont then defo get a PM or a builder.

The build is only 6 miles from we currently live. Before I had children I would definitely have done it by myself but it's just not feasible now. I hope to get a few bob off the 10K, and do a small bit of pricing myself, so hopefully will get the best deal possible (oh and get plenty of info here!). It's good to know it can be done anyway.

One thing that bothers me is that we're in a small town where everyone knows everyone else, and the engineer knows all the builders etc. and they're all in A BIG CONSPIRACY TO RIP ME OFF!! Well, maybe not, but I'm sure they'll be in touch with each other about local builds....

uum, hard to call that 1 lad, all you can do is price around, you are not limited to inside your own town, plenty of trades willing to travel.

There seems to be a confusion as to a definition of a self build in this thread.

If you hire a PM service or Architect or Engineer to project manage a build, then its not a self build \ direct labour job........
A building contractor is basically a project manager.... all your doing is replacing him with another professional.
I would always recommend hiring an architect as a project manager.

A direct labour build is one where the client takes on the responsibilities of the project manager. Its in this case where i would not recommend anyone without indepth construction knowledge to take the job on. if your hiring a project manager then your not self building.

There seems to be a confusion as to a definition of a self build in this thread.

If you hire a PM service or Architect or Engineer to project manage a build, then its not a self build \ direct labour job........
A building contractor is basically a project manager.... all your doing is replacing him with another professional.
I would always recommend hiring an architect as a project manager.

A direct labour build is one where the client takes on the responsibilities of the project manager. Its in this case where i would not recommend anyone without indepth construction knowledge to take the job on. if your hiring a project manager then your not self building.

Out of interest are you an engineer or builder?

I know you would not recommend it but there are 100's of direct labour builds going on where the person has little indept construction knowledge.

Eh?

Surely the definition of "self-build" is where you don't buy a prebuilt or secondhand house - irrespective of how it's actually delivered?

Just FYI - the engineer who signed off our build stages wouldn't even take the job on if it was direct labour. Not sure if that's common but I can see his point.

Yes the contractor is the PM but it's HIS project until it's delivered to the required standard. If you have your own PM the financial risk is all yours.

Don't be afraid of asking tradespeople for recommendations either. We have got several good workmen that way.

SSE

1. Out of interest are you an engineer or builder?

2. I know you would not recommend it but there are 100's of direct labour builds going on where the person has little indept construction knowledge.

1. Im an Architectural Technician

2. I know, thats why im so against direct labour,.. i see errors and mistakes every day because the client doesnt know a thing about construction and they end up having to pay out of their own pocket to remedy them.

There seems to be a disrespect for house building in ireland. If some one can project manage to necessary standards fine, but in my experience they are nearly always a disaster. You wouldnt walk into a car showroom and tell the salesman to send you out the parts, you will put it torgether yourself and save 15% in the process.... why do people think they can do it for houses??

Building standards are increasing all the time, so fast actually that some professionals out there whose job it is to certify them dont actually know what the proper requirements are. People are loosing money left right and centre on direct labour jobs.... then they complain they they didnt get the end product they wanted.
point of fact.... anyone installing geothermal with underfloor heating into a direct labour standard 310 cavity wall with passive vents are absolutely mad...... ive seen this done so often, then they complain that the system doesnt heat the dwelling adequately, and that it takes ages to heat etc (youve heard it all before), when in fact its the standard and choice of construction thats the main problem.....
If someone planning on manageing their own build and they dont know what a DPC or 'soap bar' is they shouldnt be doing it....
rant over.....

1. Im an Architectural Technician

2. I know, thats why im so against direct labour,.. i see errors and mistakes every day because the client doesnt know a thing about construction and they end up having to pay out of their own pocket to remedy them.

There seems to be a disrespect for house building in ireland. If some one can project manage to necessary standards fine, but in my experience they are nearly always a disaster. You wouldnt walk into a car showroom and tell the salesman to send you out the parts, you will put it torgether yourself and save 15% in the process.... why do people think they can do it for houses??

Building standards are increasing all the time, so fast actually that some professionals out there whose job it is to certify them dont actually know what the proper requirements are. People are loosing money left right and centre on direct labour jobs.... then they complain they they didnt get the end product they wanted.
point of fact.... anyone installing geothermal with underfloor heating into a direct labour standard 310 cavity wall with passive vents are absolutely mad...... ive seen this done so often, then they complain that the system doesnt heat the dwelling adequately, and that it takes ages to heat etc (youve heard it all before), when in fact its the standard and choice of construction thats the main problem.....
If someone planning on manageing their own build and they dont know what a DPC or 'soap bar' is they shouldnt be doing it....
rant over.....

And thats why they have an engineer who will check each stage of the build and sign the stage off before the next drawdown is due.

Its your opinion which is fair enough, my opinion and experience of maybe 20 odd selfbuild/direct labour houses is that the standard of work is much higher and the finish whether it be insulation levels, standard of tiling, painting, carpentary are well above that of those which are build by builders, the difference is the self builder is in charge of something they do care about, while builders are only interested in getting the job done as quickly as possible, getting their money and moving on.

Out of pure interest, most of the work you do, is it for builders or people who mange their own build, because from my view is that if the number of people who undertake the PM of the job themselves then there is less chance of them requiring the service of professions like yours??

Again I am not having a go at your opionions or anything, I know we can agree to disagree but I think you maybe OTT on some points.

Back