PVC window spec advice

Cantona7

Hi,
Having had some quotes for wood window replacements the pvc option is coming in much cheaper.

Would appreciate any comments on suitability/standard for normal house window replacement project of this spec received from Irish supplier .
Is there anything i should look out for or is this adequate.

This is the spec supplied by the company for uPVC Casement window replacements,

Ten Year Guarantee, on frames and glass units.
Five year guarantee on ironmongery, i.e. handles hinges and locks.

Low E, Double Glazed, PVCu windows. ( U value 1.1 - 1.6. )
Pvc profile: KBE 53mm pvc profile,
Glass: Low E, 24 mm double glazed units.
Ironmongery: Multipoint locking system, with night vent facility.
High quality, aluminium friction hinges.

Thanks
C7

On a two storey house from a cleaning point of view I have found the windows that are on sliders are a big bonus. I don't have to use a window cleaner which I much prefer especially from a privacy/security point of view.

Some years back there was a mention of in the windows but this may be dated and not relevant now.

Presumably the problem that existed many years ago of it being possible to remove the panes of glass from the outside and gain entry to the house has long since disappeared with improvements in quality.

Be sure that the window unit has a U value of at least 1.4. I think this is basic now. Anything bigger than that and you are buying old technology. The glass will be 1.1 - not really important. What is important is the window (glass + frame). Get the U value for that <= 1.4

Ask for "A" rated glass which will be made up of Optiwhite/Swiss Spacer Bar/Argon Filled/Optishield or something simular.

Back