PV Solar quote /5500kw annual consumption

Clonback

Just quoted 7,800 euro plus grant for 6 panel (2.3kw) solar system to iclude inverter and Ber and no battery.The co is the leader in Solar installations.

We have a gas combi boiler so dont have a hot water tank and a Zappi charger for a plug in hybrid.Just myself and wife in a 3 bed detached house with a Ber B2

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Just quoted 7,800 euro plus grant for 6 panel (2.3kw) solar system to iclude inverter and Ber and no battery.The co is the leader in Solar installations.

We have a gas combi boiler so dont have a hot water tank and a Zappi charger for a plug in hybrid.Just myself and wife in a 3 bed detached house with a Ber B2

Any feedback greatly appreciated.
2 observations:
1. 5500kWhr per annum consumption seems high. Are you sure of this?
2. €7.8k + grant (€1.8k) is imo crazy high when you can buy all the materials needed for less the €2.5k. Seems like a lot for labour + profit I would think.

5500 kw p.a. is correct.The 8kw PHEV is charged 5 times p.w. so that put us above average consumption.

I agree the price is very high but am concious that there are many dubious installers about.Any recommendations would be most helpful.

If you are charging your car 5 times a week, does that mean that you are travelling to work all week and charging in the evening or night time?

If so, solar will be useless to you for charging the PHEV.

Price is very expensive. A 2.3kWp system will struggle to charge a car. You need to have 1kw minimum of excess to charge the car so assuming a base load of 500w in the house it needs to be producing 1.5kw before it will start charging the car so outside of a good summers day you'll struggle to get anything like that. What size is the inverter?

If you are charging your car 5 times a week, does that mean that you are travelling to work all week and charging in the evening or night time?

If so, solar will be useless to you for charging the PHEV.
We use the car for social/domestic/pleasure purpose only,so charging can be during solar hours.

Price is very expensive. A 2.3kWp system will struggle to charge a car. You need to have 1kw minimum of excess to charge the car so assuming a base load of 500w in the house it needs to be producing 1.5kw before it will start charging the car so outside of a good summers day you'll struggle to get anything like that. What size is the inverter?
Model S5- GRIP2.5k by Activ8

I think it's awful value for money and will struggle to charge the car. For comparison mine cost 6k before the grant for a 3.6kw inverter 11 380w panels 4.2kWp, an eddi hot water diverter, BER and install last October. If you're on Facebook there's a group that has some good advice and advice for companies that will give you a decent quote.

Cars generally need a certain amount of power from solar before they'll start charging. Over 1kW at least, so a 2.3kW system (with a couple of hundred W base load from the house) might struggle to charge the car on its own.

Aside from that, that company are "leading" sure, but awful value. For the price they quoted me, a different company included a 5kWh battery, and zappi charger. Arguably 3-4k cheaper if like for like

I think it's awful value for money and will struggle to charge the car. For comparison mine cost 6k before the grant for a 3.6kw inverter 11 380w panels 4.2kWp, an eddi hot water diverter, BER and install last October. If you're on Facebook there's a group that has some good advice and advice for companies that will give you a decent quote.
To be fair, last October quotes are a dream compared to today's reality. That 6k quote you got is likely to be 9k now (from my recent experience calling 14 different suppliers)

The co is the leader in Solar installations.
There are a handful of companies that are quite well known charging very high prices for essentially the same gear. You definitely want to get a few quotes and don’t assume paying more gets you a better product or install, they are virtually all using panels from 3-4 manufacturers.

Others have already said it, but just to back them up that that quote seems high and unless you have a very small roof it would be crazy to put so few panels up, you should aim for double the number as a bare minimum.

'The co is the leader in Solar installations.'

This caught me from your original Post. On what basis are they the leading Solar Company. I'd suggest this is a self awarded title. These folks are well known for hard sell and OTT quotes.

For that size system please check out ww.mysolar.ie.

I have no connection to this company and my larger system was installed by another company but I know they offer value compared to the quote you have.

Please thank me if you find this helpful so others may find it too.

To be fair, last October quotes are a dream compared to today's reality. That 6k quote you got is likely to be 9k now (from my recent experience calling 14 different suppliers)
7k should be easily achievable There are still some companies quoting close to it if what's being shared on the FB group is to be believed and a friend is having a 9kWp system installed with a battery not far off the rough after grant guide of 1.2k per kWp of panels, 1k per kwh of battery with €550 for the eddi. Prices have gone up but not to that extent.

That's actually a great bit of advice, I would have used them only for some confusion and they lost my details and I'd paid a deposit with another company by the time we both figured out what happened. I thought they'd lost interest in me!

FWIW last week I was quoted €11895 (after the grant is applied) for x16 panels (6.5kW), a 5.2kWh battery and 5kW inverter. No immersion diverter or car charger. I didn't think that was cheap but not madly overpriced, might be €1-2k to be squeezed out of that price.

'The co is the leader in Solar installations.'

This caught me from your original Post. On what basis are they the leading Solar Company. I'd suggest this is a self awarded title. These folks are well known for hard sell and OTT quotes.

I have no connection to this company and my larger system was installed by another company but I know they offer value compared to the quote you have.

Please thank me if you find this helpful so others may find it too.
Activ8 have the largest no. of installations in the country and are 50% owned by SSE Airtricity.I fully agree the quote is crazy but finding a reputable co is difficult. www.mysolar.ie never returned my calls but I will try them again.I dont buy hard sell. However I would prefer to pay for the system than a rental charge.

Activ8 have the largest no. of installations in the country and are 50% owned by SSE Airtricity.I fully agree the quote is crazy but finding a reputable co is difficult. www.mysolar.ie never returned my calls but I will try them again.I dont buy hard sell. However I would prefer to pay for the system than a rental charge.
You have the option at any point to pay off the balance with mysolar.ie and own the system, I think most installers are out the door with work in the current climate and I'd almost be wary of any company that can commit to an install short term.

Remember we are coming into a period when return from Solar PV will be low for the next 5 months or so, therefore I'd advise waiting 4-5 months to schedule for the installer you are happiest with rather than worry re a quick install.

Over 2 years ago Activ8 were 4.5 k or 60% dearer for my install than the company I went with and this was before the current boom.

FWIW last week I was quoted €11895 (after the grant is applied) for x16 panels (6.5kW), a 5.2kWh battery and 5kW inverter. No immersion diverter or car charger. I didn't think that was cheap but not madly overpriced, might be €1-2k to be squeezed out of that price.
Paid very similar in June for the same
System and delighted with the results.

Hey OP. I paid €7,500 for a 4Kw system in June. The SEAI grant will take €2,400 off that. No battery or other trimmings. Similar level of annual usage.

g

For comparison, in March I got.
6.5kWp, 5KW battery, 5kW hybrid inverter, hot water Eddi and Ber for 9 grand net of grant.
A 2.3KW array is not big enough to power large battery of EV.

Back