Putting Dublin rental property into joint names

Summertime2019

Hi and I'm a new poster and own a rental property (from my family home) which is 100% in my own name with bank mortgage. I live in the UK and trying to understand the considerations to get my property into joint names (50-50) with my husband. The plan is to spread tax since I'm the main earner and he has tax capacity for rental income. I realise I'll need to contact my mortgage lender though I'm not sure how to go about this; who to contact e.g. solicitor and/or PRA (Irish Land Registry) etc. Many thanks

Solicitor can sort out Land Registry for you -there is no stamp duty when you add a spouse but there will be a solicitor's fee for the administration work.

Many thanks Feemar5 and I’ve not contacted a solicitor yet thought will check one out once I’ve found one. TBH i thought Land Registry, if required could be done separately. Property is only 12 years old.

If you have a mortgage you cannot add your husbands name to the title deeds without the banks permission.

I suggest that you contact the bank about this initially.

Thanks for your reply and yes contacting bank (proving a bit painful to speak to a human as their online is poor) as they need to do their checks and okay on title deeds. Am guessing it may be separate to Land Registry since the property will be transferred between spouses rather than sold. I’ll try to locate a solicitor to go through steps. Many thanks

Back