Put proceeds of house sale on deposit while stockmarket is so weak?

B

Brutus

Hi,
First posting. I will soon receive about €500,000 after tax and transaction costs on the sale of a house. Given the state of the stockmarket at present, would I be better off leaving it on deposit, say in Anglo at 4.5% for a few months until things hopefully improve? I had intended investing it as I am not dependent on it.

would I be better off leaving it on deposit, say in Anglo at 4.5% for a few months until things hopefully improve?

But if you expect things to improve in the next few months, wouldn't now be the best time to invest as you're getting in at lower prices?

if investing a sum as large as that you might consider getting professional advice. have you got a pension? in the short term you should place it on deposit while considering your options.
if you are investing for the long term the irish stock market should give you a good return as it is currently at historically low levels of valuation (but a stock market investment is never without risk).

Thanks for that.Webtax: yes I have a pension. I will get professional advice but will put it on deposit in the meantime. Sarsfield: your point has relevance for everybody at the moment I feel

Back