Purchasing new PC: Vista V's XP ?

suicra05

I am in the process of buying a new tower PC for the office at home. Should I go for one with Vista on it or stick to the old reliable XP?

Secondly, anybody know any good deals at present in PC's.

I went with XP when I bought in March last year..it was 20 euros extra, but didn't want the hassle of Vista bugs. It might be sorted now, but if you know XP, I'd stick with it.

Personally I'd stick with XP too but Google for advice, reviews, experiences etc. For good deals on Dells check out the boards.ie Bargain Alerts forum where good offers and value codes for Dell laptops and desktops are often posted.

I know this reply bucks the trend a bit... ;)

...but I got a new Dell PC last June and went with Vista and I've had no problems at all worth mentioning.

I suspect that upgrading an existing machine from XP to Vista was always likely to produce some issues but that going with Vista from the beginning on a new machine was less likely to give problems.

But this is more of a hunch than a technical opinion. :)

Anyhow, just felt I'd put in a plug for the much-maligned Vista.

Cheers.

I'd definitely stick with XP. Vista is a disaster. Even if it did work properly, I'm not sure if there are enough additional benefits to upgrade.

I'd stick with XP too.

I currently use XP, and recently bought a new laptop and also went for one with XP.

I had heard too many of the problems that Vista was having and didn't want this, but I am sure that these issues will be sorted out with time. It was quite new after all.

Also, it is more RAM hungry and XP on a similar spec PC will run faster.

But we will eventually all have to go the Vista route as new software will invariably not support XP after a few years.

I suspect that upgrading an existing machine from XP to Vista was always likely to produce some issues but that going with Vista from the beginning on a new machine was less likely to give problems.

But this is more of a hunch than a technical opinion. :)
I know of plenty of people who did not upgrade XP to Vista but have terrible problems with Vista.

Looks like, for once in my life, I've been lucky then.

Cue PC self-combusting in background...

My attitude is, that because I have the original installation DVDS for Win Xp Pro from Dell which came with my original system. I'd consider getting Vista (in disk form with a new system) but not using it. Instead I would install XP from my already purchased disks.
That way I d have XP and also be able to install Vista when they get their act together and produce some service packs to make it easier.

My attitude is, that because I have the original installation DVDS for Win Xp Pro from Dell which came with my original system. I'd consider getting Vista (in disk form with a new system) but not using it. Instead I would install XP from my already purchased disks.
Will this necessarily work? Not all OEM versions will work with all machines even from the same manufacturer as far as I know. Also you'd be in breach of the license if you installed the same version multiple times.

I have XP on my old laptop but with a partitioned HD install rather than CDs.
Is it easy to make CDs of this to install it on a new laptop with Vista if Vista annoys me/doesn't work with my apps etc ?

I have XP on my old laptop but with a partitioned HD install rather than CDs.
Is it easy to make CDs of this to install it on a new laptop with Vista if Vista annoys me/doesn't work with my apps etc ?
Some vendors who supply the recovery installation image this way also provide information or tolls for creating a CD image. However the caveat in the previous post also applies.

Vista is ready for the bin, I would rather keep me old pc forever rather to change to Vista there is so many problems with the new Windows Program, how Microsoft can get anyway with it god knows

That way I d have XP and also be able to install Vista when they get their act together and produce some service packs to make it easier.

The original XP licence is with the machine. So you can only use it on that machine. Even if it will probably work on another Dell

I was using Vista for about 4 months but I've gone back to XP now. Theres nothing in it that I need over XP. I like some of the new interface. But I found a problem, it doesn't copy/merge folders/files reliably. It decides itself where to copy certain file/folder types and also leaves behind empty folders, and/or files seemingly at random.

The original XP licence is with the machine. So you can only use it on that machine. Even if it will probably work on another Dell
That's what I thought and posted here saying the same thing a while back but some others claimed that you could transfer the license in some or all cases. :confused:

[broken link removed]

You can transfer a retail version but not OEM legally at least. AFAIK.

Back