purchasing a derelict cottage

lilliesmom

Hi All
Myself and my partner are going to view a derelict farmhouse cottage at the weekend.

We are looking for a property to repair to live in.

This one looks like it could be easily brought back to habital conditions as it just hasn't had anyone living in it, but it is an old property.

I am looking for advice off anyone whose "been there" on important questions to ask the agent.

There is full planning permission to build a new house but we would intend on repairing and extending.

The property is on an acre. I am not sure as yet if there is loo. What do we need to ask in regards to ESB, water and waste water facilities etc.

We are selling are present home to clear business debt, we are not "in the money" so what we have, has to go a along way.

Please assume we know nothing, come back to us with even that which you think we would already know.

I really appreciate any feedback.

Thanking you all in advance

We Purchase an old cottage with similar plans,ask if there is a septic tank ,also regards ESB if the place has been empty for more than to years the esb will charge for a new connection ! Also the cottage to we bought had dry rot in roof which we would never have spotted but a friend of mine in construction spotted straight away which meant the roof had to be replaced, also ask if there is a well for water?

thanks hoppy,

I think the roof will have to be replaced. Did yours have a well? Whats the complications of not having one?

Thanks again,any imput appreciated

Just found out there are No Services. Are we talking a small fortune to instate them? Anyone 'been there'.

What does this involve?

you will need to get a perculation test done and planning permission for septic/tank/waste treatment ,drill a well and esb which depending on how far you are from the network costs vary

Back