Purchase of an inherited car from a third party

Palerider

My son is interested in buying a car, the seller says the car was an inheritance from a deceased family member, he cannot locate the VLC and does not want to put it in his name prior to the sale.

Im leaving aside the feeling that this is better to walk away from. For example has he the right to sell the car but also I'm curious how a purchaser might deal with this issue, it might be a good negotiation point if there is a process that somebody could outline that would be satisfactory for the purchaser to be 100% sure there would be no comeback.

I don't think the seller needs to transfer it to his name, but there is a process.

From here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...or_selling_a_vehicle/change_of_ownership.html

"Deceased owner
If you buy a vehicle and the current owner (seller) is deceased, a letter from the executor of the deceased's will, or the solicitor dealing with the will, indicating your right to the vehicle should accompany the Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC). Where the VRC is not available or cannot be produced, an administrative process allows the acceptance of a declaration of ownership change in the form of a statutory declaration sworn before a Commissioner for Oaths or a practising solicitor. The statutory declaration form, which is available from the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division, should accompany the letter from the executor of the will or the solicitor mentioned above."

I'd stay well away if seller doesn't want to follow the process. There are other ways, such as signing a declaration form to get replacement documents, but there's no guarantee that there's no come-back later (my dad bought a car a number of years ago for cash, and the seller 'disappeared' without sending in the change of ownership).

Other than that, obviously do a finance check on the car to make sure it's not on HP.

Reactions: Leo
Thank you RedOnion, yes I agree the process would have to be followed, I would have thought this wasn't such an unusual occurance but it is a far more risky way to buy a car than the normal routes.

In any event I think I will be advising number one son to walk away.

Back