PUP payment duration

ATC110

Is the PUP €350 payable for 12 weeks or 8th June (whichever occurs soonest) regardless of how many payments have been received?

Yes. But it is about to be extended. There are reports of it being reduced for part-time workers to the regular Jobseekers rate, but how they would do that is as yet unclear. The official position is that there hasn't been a decision on it yet. There should be some announcement in the next day or two. Is currently being debated in the Dáil.

Can't find the link now, but read a report this morning that says there will be two bands for the revised PUP. Those earning less than 200 Euro before the pandemic will get 203/week, with those over 200 euro continuing to get the 350.

It will be interesting to see how they calculate the reference wage for seasonal workers or other workers with irregular hours, or for the self-employed.

It will be interesting to see how they calculate the reference wage for seasonal workers or other workers with irregular hours, or for the self-employed.

How will it work for the self-employed - gross profit or net profit? Despite not working the business owner still has most if not all of the same overheads

How will it work for the self-employed - gross profit or net profit? Despite not working the business owner still has most if not all of the same overheads

The published information does not make any mention of self-employment in determining the lower rate

The reference is to those with income from employment of less than 200 Euro. That is ambiguous. I suspect that the self-employed will be left alone on the higher rate, but a strict reading of the information could suggest that they get the lower rate as they have less than 200 Euro income from employment.

There's no mention of any self declaration of earnings simply that you will receive the appropriate banded payment from July onwards. That implies they will use payroll data as reported to revenue for the weeks/months preceding the claim to sort recipients into the under/over 200 categories.

Obviously this is not available for the self-employed sole trader, who files an annual tax return, so one presumes they will just continue with the 350.

There's no mention of any self declaration of earnings simply that you will receive the appropriate banded payment from July onwards. That implies they will use payroll data as reported to revenue for the weeks/months preceding the claim to sort recipients into the under/over 200 categories.

Obviously this is not available for the self-employed sole trader, who files an annual tax return, so one presumes they will just continue with the 350.

I expect you are right. I think it would be too messy for them to start assessing the self-employed, particularly those who have not filed their 2019 tax returns yet. The UK government took an average of the past three years self assessment, but it took them 3 months to set this up and arrange payment.

I saw a report somewhere, that they would base the decision on 2018 tax returns for that very reason, with an appeal available to cover the scenario whereby earnings in January February were over 200, but the figure derives from the 2018 return was lower.

I saw a report somewhere, that they would base the decision on 2018 tax returns for that very reason, with an appeal available to cover the scenario whereby earnings in January February were over 200, but the figure derives from the 2018 return was lower.
I think that was in the Business Post on Sunday. Yes, will be looking at latest returns. Will end up with a load of appeals in that event.

I expect you are right. I think it would be too messy for them to start assessing the self-employed, particularly those who have not filed their 2019 tax returns yet. The UK government took an average of the past three years self assessment, but it took them 3 months to set this up and arrange payment.

I see the 2018 tax return will be used for assessing income for the self-employed.

[broken link removed]

It doesn't specify how income will be assessed. Is it the "Amount of income or profits arising for this period" under Schedule D income?

The DEASP do not know so I called Revenue, as they will be providing the income figures, but they're not contactable.

I'm self employed now and in 2019 but I was PAYE in 2018. My 2018 return showed a small amount of self-employed income (well under 200pw) but the total (PAYE plus self-employed plus rental income) was well over 200pw. I haven't made a return for 2019.

Wonder how they'll deal with that?

Yeah, that's a tricky one. I would expect payment to be reduced to the 203 initially. If you are in a position to provide accounts for 2019, they may be able to increase the payment, but we will have to wait to see what the procedure for reviews/appeals is.

Got a notification via my welfare.ie that my payment is being reduced to the lower rate. The DEASP has assessed my income after capital allowances have been deducted.

There is an appeals process by post which needs to be made within 21 days.

I believe all recipients need to re apply by completing an online questionaire by July 13th to maintain payment whether reduced or not.

Got a notification via my welfare.ie that my payment is being reduced to the lower rate. The DEASP has assessed my income after capital allowances have been deducted.

There is an appeals process by post which needs to be made within 21 days.
Interesting. Have they referred you to the Social Welfare Appeals Office in D'Olier Street, or is it to a review officer at local level? How can someone effectively appeal when there are no statutory rules or clear guidelines on the subject.

Interesting. Have they referred you to the Social Welfare Appeals Office in D'Olier Street, or is it to a review officer at local level? How can someone effectively appeal when there are no statutory rules or clear guidelines on the subject.

This was the message received through MyWelfare.ie on 2nd July 2020:

This notification is to advise you that the rate of your Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP) has been reviewed and is changing from €350.00 to €203.00 on 7th July 2020. This rate is based on your average weekly earnings of €<200 in 2018.

The COVID-19 PUP is an emergency payment of €350.00 introduced by the Government and is intended to support those workers whose employers cannot retain them or who are self-employed but whose trading income has ceased due to COVID-19.
The COVID-19 PUP was originally introduced on 15 March as an emergency payment for a six week period. The Government has recently decided to extend payment until 10th August 2020.

It has also been decided to introduce a number of modifications to the COVID-19 PUP from 29th June by introducing graduated payment rates aligned to prior earnings.
Your claim for COVID-19 PUP was reviewed in light of your prior earnings set out below

• Contributions Details from year: 2018
• Gross Earnings: €
• Contributions: 52
• Average Weekly Gross Earnings: €<200

Rate Band:
• From Amount: €0.00
• To Amount: €199.99

Options available if you want to appeal

If you believe that this decision is incorrect, you can request an internal review of the decision. You may also seek a formal review in which case it will be referred to a designated Review Officer. You may choose one or both options. You may do this by writing to us at the address below within the next 21 days. Please make sure to include all relevant details to support your application.

COVID 19 Unemployment Payments
PO Box 12896
Dublin 1

Do you believe the decision is incorrect? Is there any basis on which you could be assessed as having income of more than 200 Euro per week? Either in 2018? Or in 2019? Or as at the end of March 2020?

Do you believe the decision is incorrect? Is there any basis on which you could be assessed as having income of more than 200 Euro per week? Either in 2018? Or in 2019? Or as at the end of March 2020?

Yes, it is incorrect. My income was significantly in excess of €200 per week, which my tax return shows.

However, the DEASP have deducted capital allowances, which brings my income below the €200 per week threshold.

I have appealed on the basis the assets which the capital allowances are calculated from still have to be paid for whether I'm working or not so it is my gross income which is the assessable amount.

The 2019 tax return is not due to be submitted until October 31st 2020 and no income figures were requested for 2020.

Back