"Pundits Famine Jibe Row"

S

slamdunkin

Supposedly Jim White (Rangers fan btw) and Charlie Nic made a couple of Ron Atkinson like unguarded gaffs during HT at Celtic game against Shaktar on Sky Sports - little did they know that some of the live feeds to Australia we still running.

I think its a disgrace and if English commentors made comments like this during an Ireland rugby game they would be hung out to dry.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/ne...6908-20182901/

SKY TV presenter Jim White was caught on air mocking Celtic fans over the potato famine.

And he was joined in his jibes by former Parkhead hero Charlie Nicholas.

Sky Sports anchor White appeared to think his microphone was off as he chatted with pundit Nicholas at halftime during Wednesday's Champions League clash.

Hearing the crowd sing The Fields Of Athenry, White was heard to say: "Oh here we go again, the tottie famine."

Nicholas replied: "Aye, and they're all eating chips singing this."

Fans watching online via a foreign internet sports channel were stunned to hear the exchange.

Last night, Sky said they were investigating.

Seems like a pretty harmless exchange to me.

There is, in fairness, a slightly odd juxtaposition that a song set during the famine would be the anthem of a sports fans in a region where obesity - aided in no small part by the humble potato chip - is a significant public health issue. I am no apologist for anti-Irish behaviour, but this one would barely register on my sensitivities

There is, in fairness, a slightly odd juxtaposition that a song set during the famine would be the anthem of a sports fans in a region where obesity - aided in no small part by the humble potato chip - is a significant public health issue. I am no apologist for anti-Irish behaviour, but this one would barely register on my sensitivities

really!!?? thats exactly what you are from where I stand. I see no difference between this and the reason Rodney Marsh got punted from Sky Sports News.

I also find your comment about the obesity - possibly one of the most stupid remarks I've read in a long time tbh

Sky Sports anchor White appeared to think his microphone was off as he chatted with pundit Nicholas at halftime during Wednesday's Champions League clash.

Maybe it was off, but someone working in the studio was a celtic supporter who switched it on again out of devilment ?

Reminds me a celtic-rangers match on RTE with a good few years ago, and the RTE commentary was so biased in favour of celtic it really stunned some overseas "neutral" visitors who watched the game with us.

Maybe it was off, but someone working in the studio was a celtic supporter who switched it on again out of devilment ?

Reminds me a celtic-rangers match on RTE with a good few years ago, and the RTE commentary was so biased in favour of celtic it really stunned some overseas "neutral" visitors who watched the game with us.

does that excuse it? Should Ron Atkinsons comment about Desailly being a "lazy nigger" just before forgotten also because he didnt know he was on air?

does that excuse it?
Excuse what ? RTE's deliberately biased commentary on the match ( played by two foreign based teams in a foreign jusisdiction ) on air ?

I never heard ""Ron Atkinsons comment about Desailly being a "lazy nigger"" so cannot comment on it, but if it was true I would obviously condem all such racist comments. You can call me a lazy white person if you want for all I care.

Back