Public Transport company cancels hundreds of journeys.

Fly to a different airport and get the train. If you're flying out of Heathrow then you've no other choice. If your end destination is London then you've loads of choice.
British Airways fly from Dublin to Heathrow.

Try London, Paris, New York, Toronto, Zurich, Sydney, Melbourne, San Fransciso to begin with
So you lived in all of those cities, for a prolonged period of time, and have used the public transport there for your daily work commute? And you are still saying public transport in Dublin is not too bad? I give up....

Here is a link to the NTA public transport performance results

[broken link removed]

Despite those exceptional circumstances which are no ones fault but their own, Ryanair cancels 2% of their flights, i.e. 98% are as usual.
According to the link you provided, Dublin Bus managed to operate 96.2% of their scheduled services in Q1/2017.

What exactly is the point you are trying to make?

So you lived in all of those cities, for a prolonged period of time, and have used the public transport there for your daily work commute? And you are still saying public transport in Dublin is not too bad? I give up....

I lived in Australia for a year, London for a summer and have visited New York and Paris on a few occasions to know how the public transport, underground rail systems anyway, work.
Those systems are far superior to what Dublin has, but that doesn't mean that I agree that Dublin Bus is a poor service.
In any case I'm not here to defend public service transport over the likes of Ryanair.
The topic is about the perception people have of those that work in these transport companies. There has been no shortage of posters defending Ryanair whilst simultaneously putting down State transport companies.
Yet, all that has happened is that thousands of passengers have had flights cancelled. Add to that,
I am (unfortunately) flying a lot, also with Ryanair

and had my fair share of delays

It would appear that your experience of regular flying is at the very least an inconvenience to you. You don't appear to like flying, nor to be rotting away at a bus stop. Yet you are defending Ryanair but not Dublin Bus. Why? Was it because I mentioned "Meanwhile in the private sector...."?

That is my point. Those that work in both public and private transport companies, or public and private sectors, have a lot more in common with each other than is actually generally perceived, in my opinion.

According to the link you provided, Dublin Bus managed to operate 96.2% of their scheduled services in Q1/2017.

What exactly is the point you are trying to make?

Despite those exceptional circumstances which are no ones fault but their own, Ryanair cancels 2% of their flights, i.e. 98% are as usual.

Yes, and the target was 95%. Is it their fault that they achieved their targets? Is it not sufficient for you to know that they achieved their targets?
But I would hazard a guess that most people either think the targets should be higher, or are skeptical about how the data is collated and published. But with Ryanair, the data will be taken as a given.
Even your link to the Irish Times,
I'm simply observing how people react to public service inefficiencies and very similar private sector inefficiencies.

I am using the current situation in Ryanair as an example to show how being sacked in the private sector is not as easy, or as common, as some would have you believe

I'm not here to bash Ryanair, I think its a great company, does its job very well. That is why also, I would be surprised if anyone was ever sacked over this.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0922/906745-ryanair/

"O'Leary apologises to Ryanair staff over cancellation 'mess'"

Mr O’Leary has also pledged to meet all Employee Representative Councils over the coming weeks to discuss their grievances

In a broadcast to staff over an internal channel, he said management were sorry for visiting the crisis on their frontline teams, including pilots, cabin crew, check-in staff and customer service personnel, and praised their work in recent days.

This is how good companies operate.

Is that because the driver drives the bus slowly? Should he drive it as if he were driving a car? Do car drivers have to stop to drop off and take on passengers along the route? Could that have something to do with it?
So now if public sector workers don't take a stand they are the bad guys too? A bit of damned if you do damned if you don't?

I think everyone here agrees that Ryanair made a huge screw-up and that management alone were to blame. One poster mentioned an issue this week in Navan and your next post to ask (in their defence it would seem) the questions above

Where are your similar questions to try to understand the issues with Ryanair?

As I said, everyone here agrees that Ryanair made a huge screw-up, but you seem to be the only one obsessed with dividing the public and private sector. It really is a case of:

Private Sector = Bad
Public Sector = Good

Where are your similar questions to try to understand the issues with Ryanair?

???
Those responses were in return to criticism of the length of time it takes a particular bus eireann journey!!!
That is the whole point. A public transport company makes a mess and there are typically calls and criticisms for sackings, accountability, the 'sheltered public sector' etc.
A private transport company makes a mess and again, it's the public sector that comes under focus?!?!
Why? Why is there such a tendency to attack public sector workers but barely a bad word to say about private sector worker's when they also make a mess?
Where are the calls for the accountability, the sackings? Why has nobody been sacked, or (thankfully, and as I predicted) unlikely to be sacked?
Is it because that private sector worker's aren't as vulnerable to sacking as is often made out?
Is it because inefficiencies also occur in the private sector, just like public sector?

Far from demonizing one worker over the other, I stand by both.
As I predicted, if you read through the posts, I have complimented Ryanair as a company, and I predicted that no-one was likely to be sacked following this mess.

???
Those responses were in return to criticism of the length of time it takes a particular bus eireann journey!!!
That is the whole point. A public transport company makes a mess and there are typically calls and criticisms for sackings, accountability, the 'sheltered public sector' etc.

You clearly missed the point - which was that the Navan fiasco was ignored in the media apart from on one TD's twitter account. And that the more generalised mess of the 109 bus route has been tolerated for years without any media or public reaction.

Those facts together contradict your thesis as above.

You clearly missed the point - which was that the Navan fiasco was ignored in the media apart from on one TD's twitter account. And that the more generalised mess of the 109 bus route has been tolerated for years without any media or public reaction.

Those facts together contradict your thesis as above.

Blame the media then!
I'm sorry to break it to you but perhaps with everything else going on in the world and in the country, the 109 bus from Cavan to Dublin probably just got squeezed out of the editorial pages in favor of, oh I dunno, Trump and NK, Brexit, road deaths, etc.
I sent my son's Samsung galaxy tablet for repair. They said it would take ten working days, that was a month ago, call RTE!
I had a look at Peadars page alright, 10hrs ago this is what he had to say about the 109 bus before going on national airwaves

"I will be on @TodaySOR today to discuss Ryanair, Leo's tax break for the wealthy, Michael D round 2 and the return of the Dáil."

Nothing.

Again you're repeatedly contradicting your own words, viz.,
???

On Toibin, look a little harder. He tweeted on it earlier in the week and again today.

Again you're repeatedly contradicting your own words, viz.,

On Toibin, look a little harder. He tweeted on it earlier in the week and again today.

I really don't get where you are coming from with this.
I was talking in general terms, not in every specific instance of every inefficiency in the public sector. Nor would I expect every inefficiency in the private sector to be highlighted by the media.
The general point is if an inefficiency in the private sector is highlighted, there is a greater tendency, for some, not all, to revert attention back to inefficiencies in the public sector.
In this topic, inefficiencies in Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus have come under scrutiny. Why? The topic was clearly about a inefficiencies in Ryanair (albeit it was done tongue in cheek).

Look at this comment,

you seem to be the only one obsessed with dividing the public and private sector. It really is a case of:

Private Sector = Bad
Public Sector = Good

Point to me where I have said the private sector is bad?

You quoted a post of mine referring to his twitter account over 10 hours ago. Maybe you've had a few jars or something, but is your memory that bad?

You quoted a post of mine referring to his twitter account over 10 hours ago. Maybe you've had a few jars or something, but is your memory that bad?

True, I've had a few jars and true I quoted a post of yours over 10 hours ago.
Is there a point to this?

I don't see the relevance of comparing of say a cancelled bus journey with that of a flight. The repercussions of the latter are far more likely to have a vastly greater impact on the passenger than the bus journey.

Whats interesting about this dispute is that its a massive private company that has used its dominance in the industry to drive down cost, and with that the conditions of its staff. There's never been such a large group of staff in dispute with the company before. Usually they are divided and conquered before too many group up togther. I expect they'll compromise before MOL does.

Back