public service pension (LA), serious illness and complicated pensionable service

G

gogogirl

Hi,

I just joined the forums but I have been reading them for a good while.

I am in a stressful situation at the moment and would greatly appreciate any advice.

I am working in a local authority for the last five years as an architect (I joined in 2007). I have been diagnosed with a chronic illness and have had 5 months sick leave in the last year. The Council medical doctor has raised retirement but I've said no (I want to get advice)

Although I am working five years here I have been working a reduced roster due to my illness and I only have 3.99 years pensionable service. I am currently tansferring a private pension which buys me .5 of a year so we can say that I have 4.5 years pensionable service.

I can't think of retirement until I reach the 5 years pensionable service. I discussed my reduced roster with HR and I can start purchasing notional service in November.

My question is.

I am afraid to raise a query of my rights with HR as I am afraid that asking them about retirement on medical grounds gives them too much info that could go against me?

Should I wait until I reach the 5 years (early 2013) and then start proceedings? Or given that I am there 5 years and qualify to purchase notional service, can I retire on medical grounds now? Will they take everything into account and help me reach the 5 years pensionable service or would they try to see my retirement as the <5years service and attempt to push me out without the pension?

I have all of these questions but I don't know who to ask without risking my HR dept knowing my intentions.

Are queries to a superanuation dept in a local authority treated confidentially or is the information shared with HR?

Sorry for the long post but this is causing me so much anxiety and I can't find anywhere that can answer my queries.

It's a tough one. If you're a union member, perhaps your union could help in clarifying your entitlements.

As far as I know, you need min if 5 years before you qualify for eRly retirement on grounds of I'll health. Beware though, they do not grant this easily. I have been looking for it for two years and so far no budge. They keep refusing me. I know that criteria are
You must have a defined illness..not sure what's on the list.
You must have maxed out all medications
In your docs opinion you will not be fit for work in foreseeable future.

Best of luck. Let me know how u got on.

Question for anyone. If the Occupational Health doctor agrees, what is the next step. How long does it take? How many years are they likely to add on. I have 12 hrs service and am aged 54?

Would love to find out as the HSE are terrible about giving out any info.

I dont mean to be insensitive, are you likely to recover in the future?

Are queries to a superanuation dept in a local authority treated confidentially or is the information shared with HR?

Superannuation is a part of HR, a hypothetical query probably/usually wouldnt be noted though. Try not to think of superann as the enemy, its occupational health that will decide if you have to retire or not, its no skin off superanns nose what you do really as long as no rules are broken

I dont mean to be insensitive, are you likely to recover in the future?

Superannuation is a part of HR, a hypothetical query probably/usually wouldnt be noted though. Try not to think of superann as the enemy, its occupational health that will decide if you have to retire or not, its no skin off superanns nose what you do really as long as no rules are broken

Unlikely to be able to do job again. OCH are decision makers and understanda from latest interview the doc said he would sign off of it in January. Do you know what is the process after he signs off and how long it takes. I am on illness benefit that is about to run out.

As I am in Admin/Mgmt would I be better with announced voluntary redundancy as I assume I would be selected as my job has been empty and not filled for over two years?

From what I recall from my HSE days, the maximum number of years added cannot exceed 6.75. This was to change as part of the Croke Pk agreement, I don't know if it did.

Unlikely to be able to do job again. OCH are decision makers and understanda from latest interview the doc said he would sign off of it in January. Do you know what is the process after he signs off and how long it takes. I am on illness benefit that is about to run out.

As I am in Admin/Mgmt would I be better with announced voluntary redundancy as I assume I would be selected as my job has been empty and not filled for over two years?

Yeh it looks like you will have to go on PI, I dont really know what you can do to delay it.

Its hard to know if the scheme will be any better than any of the others schemes that have come and gone

Good news. Got signed off by OH. From what I've been tod they will add 6 years so better than scheme. Thanks for advice

Back