Public Sector Wages; what should they be benchmarked against?

censuspro, will you please research your information before coming out with sweeping statements.

Pre 1995 public servants get very little if any benefits from prsi apart from their pension on retirement. Post 1995 employees pay full rate prsi and therefore are entitled to all benefits available, just like anybody else in any sector.

Typical Irish Independant crap as usual, unresearched, unqualified, unbelievable!

Ronan spare me the patronizing tone. I'm sure your more intelligent and well read than everyone else here. Do you know exactly what the PRSI benefits are? The main one being the contributory old aged pension which, as you've researched, pre 1995 public sector employees get anyway.

The main one being the contributory old aged pension which, as you've researched, pre 1995 public sector employees get anyway.

Actually no pre 95 do not have an entitlement to the state OAP, nor do they get get maternity, dental or opthalmic benefits. The pension they receive is paid by the former employer.

Not sure what benefits we get as I've never really looked into it.

Actually no pre 95 do not have an entitlement to the state OAP, nor do they get get maternity, dental or opthalmic benefits. The pension they receive is paid by the former employer.
While I agree with your general point I would qualify it by saying that their pensions are mostly paid for by contributions from the current employees. The balance, a much smaller figure than it was a few months ago, is paid for by the state.

Pre-1995 public servants do NOT get the CSP as they do not pay 4% full-rate PRSI. They pay 0.9%.

They do pay superannuation contributions, 6.5% of wages, plus the new pension levy.

Ronan spare me the patronizing tone. I'm sure your more intelligent and well read than everyone else here. Do you know exactly what the PRSI benefits are? The main one being the contributory old aged pension which, as you've researched, pre 1995 public sector employees get anyway.

@censuspro, I'm sorry if you think I am patronizing you, it wasn't my intention and I am far from intelligent and I hardly read. Anyway.....

You asked a question to which you got an answer, but it appears from my reading of this website that many people would rather believe what they read in certain newpapers or hear on the tv instead of actually looking into the situation and finding the correct information first.

Back