Public Sector Retire early

Thanks Early Riser. That HSE approach seems very unfair. I would have thought that the treatment would be dealt with in legislation and not subject to interpretation!

Thanks Early Riser. That HSE approach seems very unfair. I would have thought that the treatment would be dealt with in legislation and not subject to interpretation!

What I don't know is whether it is confined to the HSE or if it is being applied elsewhere. If it is just the HSE it would seem difficult to sustain.

The Superannuation Handbook and Guidance Notes for Established Civil Service Scheme states

Supplementary pensions
Supplementary pensions, where appropriate, are payable to persons availing of cost neutral early retirement on reaching the relevant preserved pension age (60 or 65 years, as appropriate). In the case of delegated departments/offices, the Department/Office from which the officer retires has the responsibility for ensuring that the supplementary pension, where appropriate, is put in payment.

It doesn't say they will suffer from the actuarial reduction. Of course, it doesn't say they won't suffer, but it would seem reasonable to point that out if this was supposed to happen!

Ok, final thoughts for the night. They could be right. CSPensions state that the Supplementary Pension
"represents the difference between the total of the pensions actually received by the person and the pension that would be payable if the occupational pension was not co-ordinated with the Old Age Pension"

If you use the normal CNR for PRE 1995, for the 50 year old with 30 years service as earlier, the pension is €23,400. Which is €6,084 (what you said earlier) more than the post 1995 pension. Which makes applying the actuarial reduction to the supplementary pension align with the CSPension definition of what the supplementary pension is.

It doesn't say they will suffer from the actuarial reduction. Of course, it doesn't say they won't suffer, but it would seem reasonable to point that out if this was supposed to happen!

That is it. There is no clear statement one way or the other that I have seen.

It does disadvantage the Class A retiree. In the example you gave earlier, the Class D retiree would qualify for a CNER pension of €23,400 from age 50. The Class A qualifies for €17,316 from 50 and a Supplementary from 60 to top it up to €23,400.

That is it. There is no clear statement one way or the other that I have seen.

It does disadvantage the Class A retiree. In the example you gave earlier, the Class D retiree would qualify for a CNER pension of €23,400 from age 50. The Class A qualifies for €17,316 from 50 and a Supplementary from 60 to top it up to €23,400.

Ahh yes indeed! There's guidance somewhere on this, just have to find it! Thanks Early Riser!

Back