Public Sector pension query

TedKennedy

I have been working in a local authority since 2000 .
I was on temporary contracts until permanent appointment in 2005.
I set up an AIB personal Pension Plan in Sept 2000 and ceased contributions in late 2006. The policy was then converted into a “Paid up” contract, according to a letter I then received from AIB. I also have a PRSA account which commenced in 2003 but I have not paid into this since 2006. During this period 2000 – 2006 I was not in the local authority pension scheme.
In late 2006 I joined the local authority pension scheme.
I also am contributing to an AVC since 2008.

I would like to retire in about 4 years when I am 62 and have the following questions.
  • As I was only made permanent in 2005 am I considered to have been recruited after April 1995 or after April 2004?
  • Is my pension sum calculated on the actual amount of years worked or only on those years I paid into the local authority pension? If not should I consider "buying back years" for the period I was not contributing?
  • Similarly is my Lump sum calculated on the actual amount of years worked or only on those years I paid into the local authority pension?
Thanking anyone who can advise.

I have been working in a local authority since 2000 .
I was on temporary contracts until permanent appointment in 2005.
I set up an AIB personal Pension Plan in Sept 2000 and ceased contributions in late 2006. The policy was then converted into a “Paid up” contract, according to a letter I then received from AIB. I also have a PRSA account which commenced in 2003 but I have not paid into this since 2006. During this period 2000 – 2006 I was not in the local authority pension scheme.
In late 2006 I joined the local authority pension scheme.
I also am contributing to an AVC since 2008.

I would like to retire in about 4 years when I am 62 and have the following questions.
  • As I was only made permanent in 2005 am I considered to have been recruited after April 1995 or after April 2004?
  • Is my pension sum calculated on the actual amount of years worked or only on those years I paid into the local authority pension? If not should I consider "buying back years" for the period I was not contributing?
  • Similarly is my Lump sum calculated on the actual amount of years worked or only on those years I paid into the local authority pension?
Thanking anyone who can advise.

Did the Local Authority not inform you, at the time of your permanent appointment, that you had to have superannuation deducted from your pay in respect of time worked with them from 2000 to date of appointment? AFAIK they should have.

Back