Public liability insurance only?

engine10

The background. I have bought out my former family home from the executor of my parents estate. The property consists of approx ¼ hectare (¾ acre) of land with potential development value. In a large town about an hour from Dublin.

The site includes the former family home, approx 1950's. The house is a large non-standard build with concrete flat roof, habitable, but would need replacement of central heating, bathroom, and some windows plus general refurbishment to bring it up to current “good repair”/PRTB rental standards.

As a residence for sale or rental it wouldn't repay the investment. As a development site, the value is the same once the house is demolished.

I currently stay there most weekends as I still have lots of contacts in my home town.
(I have my own home in Dublin where I work.)

My problem is I wish to get Public Liability Insurance only as the poor repair/flat roof and low occupancy is meaning it won't be covered by many standard Home Insurers at a reasonable cost.

In addition I see no point in Insuring risks that will not greatly affect the value of a property likely to be demolished in the short to medium term.
Even more so when payout is on “reinstatement” which is never going to happen.

However any Insurer I've contacted directs me into the standard Home insurance proposal stream.

I have one or two brokers yet to try but I am interested to know if anyone else has a reference for a provider who can act outside the box of pigeon-holed business categorisation, and will quote for public liability only?

The cover you need for your house is property owners liability cover, which will cover you as a property owner (if a child climbs and falls on your premises for example) as well as public liability cover. This will be incorporated into the correct house insurance policy but I don't know of any insurer that will give it on its own. An unoccupied property insurance policy will give this cover as well as basic (FLEA) building cover. You might also be able to cancel the policy after a few months and obtain a partial refund of premiums after you demolish the property.

Back