Public Liability insurance for shared access

TCR_JNP

Hello, Can anyone recommend a broker or insurance company that can provide public liability insurance for shared access that would cross a parcel of land owned by us?
Many thanks.

Not offhand.

In view of the atypical scenario described I would most definitely not deal directly with an insurance company.
I would prefer to have such a matter handled for me by a competent professional insurance broker.

Look at this link to Irish insurance broker https://brokersireland.ie/
Look at the find a broker function. Public liability insurance of the type described by you would probably be classified as a commercial product if you need a stand alone public liability insurance.

Despite the above there might be a simpler solution.

Do you actually need a separate public liability policy ? If you already have a household insurance policy or a farm insurance type policy you probably have public liability insurance within the product. I would expect this to be the case if the parcel in question is within the scope of the insured property as described in the policy. If so, ask the insurers in question if they can cover your public liability risk for the shared access area. If they are agreeable be sure that you get confirmation from them in writing.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The problem is that it appears that insurers will only provide home insurance with the public liability aspect for the house and land which is behind the entrance gate and within the wall boundaries so specifically excluding the part of land over which the right of way is granted. Really struggling to find a broker that can source insurance for the excluded portion.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The problem is that it appears that insurers will only provide home insurance with the public liability aspect for the house and land which is behind the entrance gate and within the wall boundaries so specifically excluding the part of land over which the right of way is granted. Really struggling to find a broker that can source insurance for the excluded portion.

That is frustrating.

Unfortunately, I think that the insurers may have a valid argument if the parcel in question does lie outside the defined boundaries of the insured property. They probably see the parcel as a distinct property almost as if it was a separate house.

If the parcel is within the boundaries of the insured property they have no proper argument. This might seem like an obvious statement. However, property boundaries are not always just so cut and dried.

If the parcel is very close to the existing property my next move would be to ask the insurers specifically to add the parcel and I would indicate a preparedness to consider an additional premium to reflect the added risk.

Otherwise, you are just going to have to persist with brokers. It may be that you will have to engage one of the larger outfits who can be more persuasive than some smaller brokerages when it comes to dealing with insurers.

We deal with a number of companies that provide land liability cover, its normally reasonable enough.

Back