Public House rental

Meathlass

Hi all are there any grants or other funding available when renting a public house for the first time? The pub has been closed a while. Any info regarding cheap insurance etc would be greatly appreciated!

Why would the State provides grants to businesses that typically have 60% gross profit margins?

And where there is no economic rationale to subsidise the service?

Why would the State provides grants to businesses that typically have 60% gross profit margins?

And where there is no economic rationale to subsidise the service?
Why have 20% of pubs closed in the last decade then? Traditionally pubs were a licence to print money but since year 2000 they have been going downhill. Even famous pubs like Quinns in drumcondra that had roaring trade for gaa games is now closed and derelict ,a very sad looking sight indeed.

Also is it not disingenuous to quote a gross profit figure for hospitality when the biggest cost are for labour which I think get deducted from gross margin afterwards. All hospitality businesses would have relatively low material costs but then the high costs like labour and public facing cost get deducted afterwards. Many restaurants are closing also because of high labour and regulatory costs .

Also is it not disingenuous to quote a gross profit figure for hospitality when the biggest cost are for labour which I think get deducted from gross margin afterwards.
Hi Joe, Normally I think your posts are bang on. This isnt correct though.

The diff between gross profit and net profit is tax. Labour, like any other cost, is deducted from revenue to arrive at gross profit.

I do agree with your point though!!

The diff between gross profit and net profit is tax. Labour, like any other cost, is deducted from revenue to arrive at gross profit.
Sorry, but this couldn't be more wrong.

The difference between gross profit and net profit is overhead costs. Labour, like any other overhead cost, is deducted from gross profit to arrive at net profit. (Tax is deducted after net profit.)

Hi all are there any grants or other funding available
When that's the opening line, this really sounds like a non runner for you.

Due to changes in behaviour over the last number of years, without huge investment, in the right location, and with the right demographics, this venture will probably sink faster than a nice pint of Guinness.

Hi all are there any grants or other funding available when renting a public house for the first time? The pub has been closed a while. Any info regarding cheap insurance etc would be greatly appreciated!
What sort of turnover would you think the pub might achieve? I'll take it there's no food.

€10,000 a week. No food. Very busy town!
Depending on staff requirements and overheads that's a good turnover. Why was it closed, death probate? If there's a chamber of commerce in the town get talking to them, they'll steer you in the right direction, unless you don't want anyone to know you might be taking it on.

Depending on staff requirements and overheads that's a good turnover. Why was it closed, death probate? If there's a chamber of commerce in the town get talking to them, they'll steer you in the right direction, unless you don't want anyone to know you might be taking it on.
I don’t mind anyone knowing I am taking it over at all! It closed two years ago due to Covid and that persons lease was up also. Your very kind to give good info!

I don’t mind anyone knowing I am taking it over at all! It closed two years ago due to Covid and that persons lease was up also. Your very kind to give good info!
I'm not saying there's grants or anything available, but wouldn't be a bit surprised. Talk to the guys in the chamber if you think you'll get on with them. Some of the chambers throughout the country have stuffy ould wans who only talk to their own ilk, but in general there's good people in them and will go out of their way to help you. Don't forget they'll expect the same from you and everyone gains. One of your biggest problems will be to get an account opened with the big drinks suppliers. If you're a good guy, others can "really" vouch for you and other publicans will back you you'll be half way there. Newcomers are just that, suppliers have been burnt too many times and you will have to prove yourself.
When Covid hit, pubs and nightclubs got a terrible walloping but later on grants and start up help was available to help keep them afloat. Sadly a huge number have gone belly up and licences sold so they're gone forever. Closed business's in towns, etc, are encouraged to open up again and could well have help so you're dead right to investigate. It's one hell of a tough trade to get involved in, especially if you've never been in it. Long hours, pilfering, staff issues, rosters, rowdy costumers and some who think they can use you as a slave, that's just to name a few. It'll be an eye opener for you and a lot don't survive for too long. If you can stop trouble coming in, you'll never have to put it out. I wish you good luck.

Last edited:
@noproblem that's a good first hand account of running a pub in modern Ireland. Alot of people have misconceptions about it being easy to make alot of money but unfortunately that is no longer the case.

Trying to maintain order and dealing with unruly patrons is probably the biggest issue. Also you are like a social worker having to listen to people's personal stuff when they have some alcohol on board. The social workers don't work late hours and weekends aswell.
It's not just a simple business to make some money ,there is a whole lot more than thay

The difference between gross profit and net profit is overhead costs. Labour, like any other overhead cost, is deducted from gross profit to arrive at net profit. (Tax is deducted after net profit.)
Of course, you are correct Tommy. I knew this in the recesses of my mind, got mixed up.

Gross profit is revenue less cost of sales i.e purchases.

Net profit is gross profit less expenses/costs/overheads such as labour, electircity, insurance etc

And tax is of course on net profit.

Hopefully thats broadly correct, its been a while!

Of course, you are correct Tommy. I knew this in the recesses of my mind, got mixed up.

Gross profit is revenue less cost of sales i.e purchases.

Net profit is gross profit less expenses/costs/overheads such as labour, electircity, insurance etc

And tax is of course on net profit.

Hopefully thats broadly correct, its been a while!
That's it, Arthur. I have the advantage of seeing this stuff every day and even then it's easy to get mixed up.

Back