Pub overcharging and serving customers incorrect alcohol - who to report to?

Plek Trum

Hi all,

I live in a remote rural area and the pub nearest to us is the only one for several miles.

In recent times it has gained a poor reputation for over charging customers (all ages, tourists and locals). Some people that complained were barred. When it started happening to more and more regulars it was bought to their attention by many people and things had improved.

However, over the weekend I personally witnessed the owners filling up bottles for the optics with a cheaper lesser known brand of vodka and selling it front of house to patrons as Smirnoff.

This is only one very small example of the behaviour of the owners. Other incidents included charging people for double measures as ordered, but only filling singles.

It is very frustrating to see this happen to people, myself included. Many of the customers are elderly men on their own and for certain, they are being taken advantage of.

Is there anyone I can report this to?
All advice and oprions welcome, thanks.

Re : overcharging etc

legal metrology service - used to be weights & measures, google them for details

westgolf

Many thanks to all, appreciate it. I'm able to look out for myself when I visit but there are several neighbours who go regularly and would not be. Witnessed the elderly gentleman in our company being filled a 'drop' from out the back and not optics. Oh I dont know, some people are doing everyting to keep businesses open and others seem intent on driving their own into the ground!

Thanks for all pointers, appreciated.

As mentioned above, it used to be the Office of weights and measures - they would look very sternly on a situation such as this. Filling bottles with the incorrect spirits is a big offense. They have been known to send people into pubs incognito to watch goings on.

Thanks guys, seems to be both NSAI and National Consumer Agency. Appreciate the directions.

I'd imagine theres a possibility that contacting the distributor of the well known brand would lead them to possibly sending someone to sample said product. Surely theres a case of trademark violation or some intellectual property issue

Agree with Meathman, I have heard of this being done. It's the same as shops displaying soft drinks in incorrect fridges, it's a trademark violation.

Agree with Meathman99 too. These guys can use hydrometers to determine relative density and from that can tell if the product is genuine or not.

Did anyone complain back in the tiger days when they asked for a Ballygowan and were given a "generic" brand?

Like tap water? Anyone asking for Ballygowan in a bar needs therapy IMHO, €2.50+ for a tiny bottle of water :eek:

I always smile when I ask for water in a restaurant and waiter/waitress asks still or sparking? Tap please. The lesser known third option :D

LOL! I remember working in a pub back when all this tiger lark kicked off - I could not believe that people were paying for a bottle of water - I thought the guy who came up with the idea was genius!!

Did anyone complain back in the tiger days when they asked for a Ballygowan and were given a "generic" brand?

ABSOLUTELY!

If I ask for Budweiser and get served, say, Miller of course I'm going to complain.
Likewise when I have asked for "Coke" and get a "Pepsi" I always bring it to the barmans attention, which usually results in the standard reply "Sorry we don't have any "Coke"".
"Well then you should have told me and inquired if I wanted something else instead" is my usual retort.

Same thing when you ask for Club Orange and you get Fanta. I never understand why people try to fob one off as the other and then sheepishly say "oh we dont have Club Orange" after you bring it back. Surely they have the sense to save the hassle and tell me upfront and i'll order something else.....

It's not the same thing at all. if I ask for a Coke and I get a Pepsi, I can decide whether I am happy with that or not.

If I ask for a Smirnoff and they give me an inferior brand from a Smirnoff bottle, then they are defrauding me and the distributors of Smirnoff.

What people did back in the day is off topic.

Keep this to discuss the OP's question(s).

A)Publican putting inferior spirits in the branded optics.
B)Publican overcharging.
C)Publican barring customers who have complained.

and ill add a fourth category:
D)Publican watering down spirits.

I seem to remember we had a long thread on this topic about 7 years ago. If I can find it Ill resurrect it here.

I remember a celebrated case in the early eighties where a publican tapped Heiniken up the the Harp taps. Thus getting large volume rebates from Heiniken who were only establishing themselves at the time.

Guiness group sales got wind of the wheeze and they would not provide him with any guiness products for several years.

Back