PTSB mortgage top up problem

beetroot

Hi I would really appreciate it if people have any advice on how to proceed with a top up mortgage application that has stalled. Situation is as follows:

Current mortgage with PTSB balance 130k
Mortgage repayment 670pm (and we are overpaying an additional 200 pm)
Current valuation 200k
Combined income 90k (both in full time employment)
Looking for a top up of 70k to fund an extension
Final valuation 250k

Approached PTSB in Dec 2011 via a broker and got AIP within 2 weeks (lending at that time was upto 92%).
Planning approved in April.
Sent contract out to tender and decided on builder.
Renewed AIP in April.
Signed contracts, ready to go, just waiting for formal loan offer.
At this stage our broker was told that we would qualify for cheaper variable rate if <75% LTV (we didn't want to change the design so said no).
Got final valuation and it came in at 250k representing 80% LTV (this is where the trouble started).
Broker was informed that the lending criteria has changed and the max they would lend is upto 75% LTV (leaving us about 15k short).

Before we decided to start changing the design our broker sent an application into AIB to move the entire mortgage to them.
AIB got back saying that we are about 100 euro pm short of meeting their lending criteria (creche fees are the problem).

So at the moment the project is stalled, our broker who is great thinks the better option is to try to get AIB to change their mind (application is currently on hold).
Creche fees will come down in Sep due to free pre-school year.
Have asked broker what PTSB require to proceed (we can make changes without impacting too much plus savings should get us to the 75% LTV)
Broker thinks AIB are the better option but the application is stuck in their credit dept at the moment
PTSB have been a complete disaster and I think they will just come up with another excuse if we get our total loan to 75% LTV

Bit of a long protracted post but unfortunately that's what the past 6 months have been like. Any thoughts are welcome, as I said our broker has been very
very helpful but I think he's ready to pull his hair out.

I'd agree that AIB would be better but I'm surprised that they'd even entertain you as I thought they would refuse to take on a switch from another lender point blank.

Only thing I can think of is to ask your broker to try ICS or KBC. ICS go up to 90% and KBC go to 80%.

I assume you've thought of these already but I'll list a few ideas here just in case:
- I,s there any way you could either get the builders price down a little or ask him/her to accept installments for the final 15k?
- Could someone close to you to lend you the 15K shortfall?
- How about putting some of the building costs on an interest free credit card - I got approval a few months ago for a 6.5k interest free credit card for 10 months. It was from MBNA who I believe may no longer be issuing cards in the ROI but other lenders may be worth approaching.
- Finally, do you have a second car that you could sell etc?
This seems like so much hassle for a relatively small amt. of money - you have my sympathies.

- How about putting some of the building costs on an interest free credit card - I got approval a few months ago for a 6.5k interest free credit card for 10 months. It was from MBNA who I believe may no longer be issuing cards in the ROI but other lenders may be worth approaching.

Unless you have a definite way to pay off the money, this is *really* dangerous. Credit cards have 18% + interest rates remember.

I absolutely agree with Ryaner - ie only use the credit card option if you can pay it off within the interest free period.
I was thinking that if you were to use it and get a ten month interest free window like I did, then it might allow you time to save the money needed to pay it back.

Back