Ptsb Mortgage Fixed Rates February 2019

Discussion in 'The Fair Mortgage Rates Campaign' started by EFAIRF, 6 Feb 2019.

1. EFAIRF

EFAIRF New Member

Hi Brendan

Unfortunately, we have a SVR mortgage with Ptsb taken out in 2006. We have an approximate LTV value of 87% and as you can imagine, the possibility of moving banks was never an option in the past but hopefully, in the next year or two, we'll be in a position to look at other lenders.

Currently, we are paying 4.30% and our remaining mortgage balance is approx. €280,000.00. We received our Certificate of Interest from the bank yesterday (not pleasant reading!) and they appear to be offering a new 2, 3 and 5 year fixed rate of 3.70%.

The question is should we fix at this lower rate? Or, should we sit tight and wait for the SVR rates to fall (which may be the case given the world economy). I know it's so hard to tell what the future holds but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. RedOnion

RedOnion Frequent Poster

3. EFAIRF

EFAIRF New Member

Hi there

Many thanks for that swift response - we will fix asap!

4. EFAIRF

EFAIRF New Member

Hi there again

How do I work out the possible savings per month after moving to the fixed rate?

Many thanks.

5. Sean Og

Sean Og Frequent Poster

Ok your LTV is 87 % but have you missed any payment etc since 2006? If you have a perfect credit history and excellent repayments on your mortgage since 2006 then if i was you i would be switching to avail of the 2% cash back available from EBS and BOI, at 280k that is €5600 each time less solicitors fees so you could have between €8000-9000 in your hand. If you talk to PTSB beforehand and tell them you are switching to BOI to get the cash back but will switch back to them within 3 months will they allow that and give you the 2% cash back. I did this with EBS but they don't have a time limit unlike PTSB who require you to be with your current lender for 24 months before you can switch to them.

6. RETIRED2017

RETIRED2017 Frequent Poster

The requirements on the banks to notify Mortgage holders of better rates is beginning to have affect
    Good to see,

7. RedOnion

RedOnion Frequent Poster

280k X 0.6% = 1,680 interest saving per year.
    You repayment won't drop as much, but you'll be paying slightly more off capital balance.

If your income allows you to switch lender, you'd be better do that.

8. EFAIRF

EFAIRF New Member

Hi there

Glad to say we never missed a payment since 2006 so that will always be in our favour. I think I will mention the switching scenarios with Ptsb and see what they say. Thanks again..