ptsb Buy to let mortgage review after 12 years

suicra05

Received a letter from PTSB saying they want to review my Buy to let mortgage and I have 10 days to reply.
It is a tracker .80%, taken out July 2007, interest only for 382,000. The property at present is worth circa 360,000 and is producing a rental income. I have never missed a mortgage payment.
They have given me 3 options: change to capital and interest mortgage, move to part capital and interest or Interest only until next review date.
I want to stay interest only at all costs. I have to produce my financial records to prove that I have a plan to pay off mortgage at final date which is in 2032. Ultimate plan would be I could sell property in 2032 and repay the mortgage. Will they accept this plan? Can they make me change to another type of mortgage? Can they increase my present tracker rate? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Hi Suicra

What does your contact say?

If it says interest only for the full term, then they can't switch you to capital and interest.

However, it probably says interest only for 5 years and then subject to review. In which case, take the elcato option, Just tick box 3.

When they come back to you, show them the valuation of the property and tell them you will sell it on maturity.

Brendan

This is a bit of a risky strategy given the property is still worth less than the mortgage. Though the OP has 25 years of rental taxes and the interest payments. Risky as in what if at the crunch moment of selling we’re in a property crash.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="suicra05, post: 1630170,
. I have to produce my financial records
[/QUOTE]

whosays this.

Is it in your contract or did some clerk in PTSB just decide they want you to.

I would write back querying this point. Unless you are contractually obliged to provide information which I very much doubt then info do not answer their questions

I am surprised they are only getting to you now. A lot of PTSB reviews of BTL trackers happened in 2010/2011. I doubt you have a tracker for the full term, but if you do, then you are OK.

Most likely they are looking to see that your plan is to repay this and what your current means are.

Surprised how PTSB can do this. If it's interest only for the term then surely it's not their concern until near that term I.e 2032. I know an individual with similiar interest only arrangements on several properties with Danske. They have had no such contact even though their term expires within the next 5 years and are in negative equity.

It's clause 7 of a standard PTSB BTL contract. I'm almost certain it's been discussed around here somewhere previously:

"Clause 7: “Permanent tsb reserves the right to review the deferral of the repayment of principal at any time during the term of the loan, including the first three years of the term and may require the applicant to cease the interest-only repayment and require the repayment of principal and interest and the applicant will immediately arrange to pay the revised monthly repayment comprising the repayment of principal and interest calculated over the remaining term so that the principal and interest will be discharged within the existing term of the loan."

Update on my post. I contacted PTSB by phone, they were looking to see if I could repay at end of mortgage. Filled out mortgage review form, included all income, proof of sufficient savings to cover any potential loss on property, proof of 2 sales of similar property from property register. Sent it all off. They came back to me within 2 days of posting by telephone. Gave me the all clear, told me there now will be 2 year reviews for remaining of mortgage. All worked out well and they did not touch my tracker mortgage or the rate.
Happy days! :)

Hi,
I recently received a PTSB Review letter with 3 options - (a) Switch to Capitol & Interest (b) Part pay down Capitol or (c) Stay on Interest only.
They are requesting some serious financial details - Salary, Savings, Sell-off of other property as options to clear down the mortgage(s). All to be returned within 10 working days on penalty of an automatic switch to Capitol & Interest if I don't.
How can I check or where can I go to, to confirm if PTSB can switch my mortgage to Capitol & Interest.
Thanks...

Last edited:
Discussed elsewhere under mortgage arrears and also property investment. They would appear to generally have a right to enforce capital repayments after a specified period. They may not do this for example if you show the value of the property exceeds the mortgage or if you have savings to cover any negative equity. There does not appear to be many concluded cases yet. In terms of checking you would need to review your loan offer, solicitor may have it if you don’t.

Hi George...
Thanks - I have all details of the Loan offer & Special Ts & Cs but who can examine the contents & advise given the past debacle on Trackers in general since 2011. In particular the Letter of Approval contains "The loan is an interest only loan for the duration of the term and the capital will be paid in full at the end of the term". Also an Amortisation Table shows a final payment in last year.

Is it a buy to let?

Does clause 7 exist?
"Clause 7: “Permanent tsb reserves the right to review the deferral of the repayment of principal at any time during the term of the loan, including the first three years of the term and may require the applicant to cease the interest-only repayment and require the repayment of principal and interest and the applicant will immediately arrange to pay the revised monthly repayment comprising the repayment of principal and interest calculated over the remaining term so that the principal and interest will be discharged within the existing term of the loan."

I think Walter Odlum solicitors took a test case on behalf of PTSB borrowers on this very issue and won.

I think this round of letters is more to do with the bigger picture of paying off capital. Walter Odlum focused more on the appropriate interest rate to be applied.

Is it a buy to let?

Does clause 7 exist?
Yes and Yes to both questions. Who can provide me with a review of the paperwork & a definitive Yes/No?

There have been court cases over the clause. I can't see you getting much benefit from someone looking at it.

Have a look at the following thread. Someone who's been through the process you're now presented with:

There have been court cases over the clause. I can't see you getting much benefit from someone looking at it.

Have a look at the following thread. Someone who's been through the process you're now presented with:
Hi There,

Thanks for the info - saw it before and the person volunteered the disclosure of personal financial info which seems compulsory - again under the threat of being switched to Capitol & Interest. Depending on IF they can or cannot make such a switch will determine my response.

Update on my post. I contacted PTSB by phone, they were looking to see if I could repay at end of mortgage. Filled out mortgage review form, included all income, proof of sufficient savings to cover any potential loss on property, proof of 2 sales of similar property from property register. Sent it all off. They came back to me within 2 days of posting by telephone. Gave me the all clear, told me there now will be 2 year reviews for remaining of mortgage. All worked out well and they did not touch my tracker mortgage or the rate.
Happy days! :)
Hi,

I saw your post & am in the same situation - I received a similar letter with the same options. What was their focus in your communications with them by phone and did they threaten you with a switch to Capitol & Interest payments?
Thanks

Back