PSA: UK Pension Buyback - have you worked in the UK for more than 3 years?

Simpli

Hi, bit of a PSA for anyone who has worked in the UK for more than 3 years. You can buy back 15 years of pension contributions for a small amount, up until April of next year. Then it reduces to 8 years retrospectively.

From april on, you can also pay an amount to HMRC, and after 35 years of contiributions (15 you've bought retrospectively plus another 20 from now on), you will get the full UK state pension worth around 9k STG per year, tax free - including tax free in Ireland.

The amount you'll have to pay in annually may vary but it could be as low as 150 GBP per year for the next 20 years.

I didn't know any of this and only found out this week. Maybe it's advertised on this site, but not very well - as I never picked it up before. Hope it will help someone else.

Would act quickly though, the timelag between documentation may take up to 3-4 months so not long to meet the April deadline to get your 15 years retrospectively.

There are Irish companies which can assist in this process, don't want to advertise specifically any but google Irish, UK pension, buyback and you should find one.

Last edited:
I’ve frequently covered this point but it still amazes me how many people seem to be unaware of the planning opportunity.

Good to highlight that the window is closing down significantly in April next year

I’ve frequently covered this point but it still amazes me how many people seem to be unaware of the planning opportunity.

Good to highlight that the window is closing down significantly in April next year

Hi Marc -

I agree fully.

I consider myself better than average at money matters Marc and I had no idea of the benefits. Wish there was a sticky for this, to include other tricks such as paying 3k per year per child into an investment pot for them, to get around the lifetime tax free gift allowance limitation. (I don't even know fully how that works, whether you can open an investment account for your child.)

What other 'tricks' for wealth building should I be aware of?

There are lots of other posts about this in this Forum, and it's well worth doing.

However, from April next year, the limit will be 6 tax years (not 8), and the pension is not tax-free (though that would be nice) - it's taxable like any other income. It will be paid gross, but has to be declared as income here in Ireland.

The title should be worked in the U.K. rather than just England.

No sense in upsetting the remaining sane countries

What about if you only worked in the UK for a year ? Can you still apply ?
I think they add pre employment credits ref like they do here, Which might assist in adding up to the 3 years. You should get a pension forecast asap as it takes so long for responses.

I spoke to an advisor at HMRC about this. His advice was, though, I could pay £2400 backdated contributions to fill in gaps. It wouldn't be worth it. As I've enough time before retirement to reach the full 35 years paying class 2 National Insurance Contributions of £163.80 a year. (About 22 more years when I'd be in my late 50s).
My worry would be that they'd stop letting me do it down the line. So better to take what I can now.

Back