Prtb

Blarney

Private Residential Tenancies Board

Hi All,
I have been trying to get thru to the PRTB and to be honest I think it would be easier to get thru to a non existant number as their answering service just goes around in circles.

I was wondering does anyone know under this new rental agreement, if from the outset the Landlord and Tenants agree to a one year lease to be reviewed at the end of that year, can that still be done or are the tenents entitled to a four year lease assuming they want it and the Landlord doesnt want to continue for whatever reason. I know under the 4 year lease the landlord can only terminate under a number of conditions, but if its agreed at a year from day 1 is this allowable. If it is, do you amend the lease form to clearly specify that a year has been agreed by both parties from day 1?

I take great care of my property as I'm sure a lot of Landlords do, and I put in a number of extra conditions, e.g. no smoking, no pets, no drying clothes in the house ( I had a carpet destroyed and dampness on the walls after tennants kept drying totally wet clothes in the room ) and a few other like these which if broken I woud see a need to terminate. I would prefer to agree a year at the outset and see how things go when that year is up.

Thanks for all your help!
Blarney

I guess from the prtb that the rules are binding....not what you make in the contract,,,,,,,,,like an employment contract....you cant say you can have 1 weeks hols per year,,,you must go by the prtb law...the law stands.regards L

from the prtb webpage

Where a tenancy has lasted more than 6 months and less than 4 years, the landlord must state in the termination notice the reason the tenancy is being terminated and the termination will not be valid unless that reason relates to
one of the following:

the tenant has failed to comply with the obligations of the tenancy

the landlord intends to sell the dwelling within the next 3 months

the dwelling is no longer suited to the needs of the occupying household

the landlord requires the dwelling for own or family member occupation

vacant possession is required for substantial refurbishment of the dwelling

the landlord intends to change the use of the dwelling.

Having registered with PRTB, tenant has left before PRTB have acknowledged the correspondence. A new tenant is to go in soon.
Does this mean another application and another fee?

Hi , been there done that, yes another fee,,,I phoned and thats the ans, all new tenants another fee,regards L

Back