PRTB - rent credit - registration required?

rejoyce

A friend has a rental property, its been let for years but most recent tenants moved in in Aug 2019. The tenants are looking at claiming the rent credit, they need a RTB registration (although I wonder if they really do). Looking at registering the tenancy, presumably the late payment would be 4 + (3 x 12) + 1 = 41 x €10 = €410 late payment. Does anyone know if there is a way around this or does it cap at a certian amount or ais the landlord better off just saying the tenants just moved in last month in December? I am sure there is a right way and a wrong way but just wondered what the cost of doing it the right way would be?

Last edited:
I'd commence the registration now and not backdate it. If you do backdate it, I assume the old "late" rate(€180 per 4 year tenancy) will apply, but from memory I think the RTB site isn't equipped to handle this.

Last edited:
A friend has a rental property, its been let for years but most recent tenants moved in in Aug 2019. The tenants are looking at claiming the rent credit, they need a RTB registration (although I wonder if they really do).
Revenue and the RTB share data and I suspect landlords who aren't registered or not fully tax compliant will be getting a letter in due course.

It might take a year or two to work through the backlog but all landlords should aim to get their affairs in order.

The landlord is fully tax compliant, just hasn’t bothered with the RTB. The RTB was setup in 2004, so 19 years later that letter has never arrived. Revenue quite happily receives the tax. I suspect there are thousands of other landlords out there in similar situation, most likely including a few FG TDs…

Revenue and the RTB share data and I suspect landlords who aren't registered or not fully tax compliant will be getting a letter in due course.
RTB data are on the public record anyway. Revenue are precluded from sharing its taxpayer-specific data with anyone.
It might take a year or two to work through the backlog but all landlords should aim to get their affairs in order.
Agreed, regardless.

The landlord is fully tax compliant, just hasn’t bothered with the RTB. The RTB was setup in 2004, so 19 years later that letter has never arrived. Revenue quite happily receives the tax. I suspect there are thousands of other landlords out there in similar situation, most likely including a few FG TDs…

I suspect that following the lorryloads of muck thrown at (FF TD) Robert Troy last summer there isn't a TD in the Dáil who hasn't ensured that their rental properties are correctly registered with the PRTB!

I suspect that following the lorryloads of muck thrown at (FF TD) Robert Troy last summer there isn't a TD in the Dáil who hasn't ensured that their rental properties are correctly registered with the PRTB!
At one point last year, the RTB were claiming to be unable both to retrospectively update their database of old registrations and to access that database to confirm whether or not someone had a registration in place at a given point of time in the past.

At one point last year, the RTB were claiming to be unable both to retrospectively update their database of old registrations and to access that database to confirm whether or not someone had a registration in place at a given point of time in the past.

Maye they should have asked the lads running "The Ditch" website to help them out!

I'd commence the registration now and not backdate it. If you do backdate it, I assume the old "late" rate(€180 per 4 year tenancy) will apply, but from memory I think the RTB site isn't equipped to handle this.
Exactly, they just need the current registration number, the odds of Revenue plus RTB trawling through all of these to see when the tenancy actually started is unlikely. Anyway, its the law to register a tenancy, and only consequential for tenants lately because of this.

Yeah, I'll miss out on it as I left an unregistered tenancy end of November. Too bad but there is nothing a tenant can do if the LL hasn't registered. They were pretty good to me (my rent was about 630 less than market rent by the time I left) so I'm not interested in creating problems for them now.

Back