PRTB Adjudication hearing in few days

Greeneye

Hi, I am what's called a reluctant, very reluctant, landlord. I let out house for first time as I had separated from co-owner of house and I couldn't pay mortgage alone. Anyhow the tenants I got were nightmares from the very beginning, I should have given them notice but I felt a bit sorry for them and I allowed them continue renting. Anyhow forward a year and they have me in court for absolutely nonsense.
First question, are landlords basically going to be the bad guys and not get fair hearings at prtb because that's how it seems.i want to be as prepared as possible for this hearing. These people stole from me and thrashed my house and I would rather break boulders than give them a penny, I believe they do this kind of thing anywhere they rent, it's a scam.
I hate being a landlord, but can't sell house now because of what those people did, is this business only for the toughest of the tough?? I am a bloody softy will I get swallowed up and spat out in this game.

Relax and get your ducks in a row. Have you pictures of the house before you rented. What was your arrangement with the tenants. Did they pay rent on time. Do you have pictures of the damage, the dirt. Do you have invoices for repairs and cleaning etc. You need to be fully prepared for the PRTB.

When you say court, you mean you're having a hearing at the PRTB I assume.

Do the ex tenants work?

Thanks Brontë.
I think I have everything in order.
I have pre and post pictures of house after tenants.
The tenants were ok about the rent, they were late a few days most months though.
The tenants broke a lot of their obligations, they wouldn't allow me to house even with notice, they put CCTV on house, too much to go into here.
Both of them work and she has her own house which I think she was able to get through the county council, her proof of address before they moved in was a letter from cc approving mortgage protection.
As for receipts, all I have is for receipts for materials to fix house and a skip to take all the furniture the tenants had left out the back, all my furniture.

I'd rather you did detail what obligations they broke. I honestly don't see why you've a problem with the CCTV.

Do you have pictures of your furniture in the back of the house. Who put it there. How much were your repairs.

You say you don't have time to go into it. If you don't start approaching this professionally the PRTB will have a field day with you.

You're very lucky the tenant's work and one of them has a property. Who was in her house while she was in yours? Do you have their work addresses. Are you registered with the PRTB etc etc.

It's against management rules to put external fittings on house and I lease. I didn't want this because I didn't want anyone fiddling or potentially damaging exterior walls.
I have address of tenants own home, while tenants were in my house she had a family living in her house, who actually brought my tenants to court on same grounds tenants are using against me and she won her case.
I have photographs of everything, furniture, holes in walls, everything destroyed..
I think no matter what I bring as evidence that PRTB will have made up their mind to favour the tenants.
As a part owner of this house only in the business one year I don't have any accumulated funds to repair house and replace furniture.
The statutory declaration stated I 'intended' to sell and I hope they can see this intent.

How come the tenants left? And where did they go?

I’d be putting a price to everything they damaged. Including labour of your partner. He’s entitled to be paid.

The tenants left because I was going to sell house, that was the notice I gave them. They returned to their own house.

I did itemized and price the furniture and items taken but I doubt I will be paid for a thing. Good thinking about reimbursement for my partner. I will try submitting that. I have zero belief that I will get a penny for costs. But the Idea that these people might get money from me after what they did is causing sleepless nights. I do have their texts regarding their refusals to remove dog etc etc and they are pretty abusive. Also their refusals to allow me to view house before they left, they told me they would sue me if I tried.

Back