PRSI refund

AJ1

Hi,

I wasn't working for the whole of 2006 and earned 15,000 in total for the year. I paid over 800 euro in prsi contributions and think i may be entitled to a refund as there is a pay ceiling for prsi and the health contribution. Any ideas?

While I don't really know if/how PRSI (and possibly health levy) refunds work in such circumstances, it is probably best to write to your local tax office or the Collector General in Limerick (include details of your tax/PRSI for the year in question - e.g. copy of P60 or P21 balancing statement or P45 etc.) and just ask. Revenue collect PRSI on behalf of Welfare and they process refunds in other circumstances (e.g. on pension contributions).

Tax office no good.

You look like you should be entitled to a refund of any levy paid (2% of earnings), but you can't reclaim PRSI.

To reclaim the levy, if you paid it, you need a particular form, which I can't find at the moment.

May i ask while i think u dont get refund of PRSI

cannot u not get a refund if the PRSI was paid incorrectly

For example due to an illness in 2005 , i was given a medical card on
medical grounds

i'm not sure what class i was paying my PRSI contributions.
But is'nt it if you were paying on the Wrong class , you are entitled to a refund

as it says that some Employers might not be aware that u had a medical card so charge u wonng class there is Class A and Class J , dont have My P60 to hand so not sure what class rate i'm charged at ?

It may be that PRSI is different and always deducted on a weekly, monthly basis and, unlike tax, not then balanced on an annual basis and refunds issued for "overpayment" (as judged by the annual rather than ongoing weekly/monthly basis). I could be wrong but I seem to recall something like that being the case...

Back