PRSI Credited Contributions / Part Time Work before college

appd

Hello

I had a part time job for a few months at 16/17 before starting fulltime college in 1998.

This is unfavourable in terms of the current yearly average calculation for Pension entitlement.

I read about 'Credited Contributions' whilst calculating my current yearly average.

Am I correct to say that credited contributions would be available to me for my time in college due to having worked previously and this having a 'gap' in contributions?
I am assuming class A covers part time work.

Thanks for reading.

I don’t think you can claim credits for time spent in education. There are only a few https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/99f84f-operation (specified courses) that are allowed. If you finished college by age 22 you still have 44 years in which to get the 2080 total contributions you need for the full state contributory pension. The average system works against those who went to college and had a few weeks temporary work before that. I would be in a similar boat.

I had a part time job for a few months at 16/17 before starting fulltime college in 1998.

This is unfavourable in terms of the current yearly average calculation for Pension entitlement.

I read about 'Credited Contributions' whilst calculating my current yearly average.
The average method of calculating entitlement to state pension will be irrelevant in your case.

If you were 18 in 1998, then you wont reach the current state pension age of 66 until 2046.

At that stage the average method of calculating eligibility will no longer be in existence. From 2025 the average method is being phased out, the only method used for calculating eligibility for state pension from 2034 will be the total contributions method.

The contributions you paid before college will go towards the current 2080 needed for a full state pension.

A fairer method to calculate your State Pension (Contributory)​

From January 2025 there will be a 10-year phased removal of the Yearly Average Method ………………………….​

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/9...e-pension-contributory-what-you-need-to-know/

Thanks for the response but whether assessed on one method or another - there object is to accumulate PRSI credits. I hope someone might have some information on specific eligibility for 'credited contributions' based upon having some A PRSI contributions before stating full time third level education (in 94 not 98 apologies).

Thanks

Back