Prsi and hearing aids

Paul O Mahoney

I got sick in 2007 and the high dose chemotherapy took a lot away including my hearing. At first it was fine but I know its getting progressively worse so much so, that I beginning to annoy everyone as I read lips and unless someone shouts I can't hear them. Having subtitles on the TV and Zoom meetings too is a further annoyance.

I paid PRSI from May 5th 1987 up to December 31st 2007 there were a few gaps in that time but nothing major.

I was in receipt of illness benefit up to late 2013 and have been signing on annually for credit once a year since 2013, I was told due to means I didn't qualify for any Social welfare payments and haven't applied for anything.

Hearing aids , the ones I want, aren't cheap, my wife says it doesn't matter well go tomorrow and buy them. But I have paid my PRSI and was wondering if I would be entitled to at least some grant?

I've tried reading the advice online but I just can't see a definitive answer.

If anyone could advise I'd truly be thankful.

Paul

PS, if they did grant me something would the balance be a legitimate health expense for tax purposes, I'll also check our health insurance they might cover some of the expense.

This is not me been mean, but I'm growing increasingly frustrated with the amount of income tax she pays and having done everything correctly in our lives we just don't seem to get anything back.

Last edited:
OH got hearing aids last year, under his PRSI he was entitled to a grant of €500 per hearing aid. In total €1000 as he needed 2.
Unlike the UK where a number of providers give their prices online, it was difficult to compare prices here.
I think Boots and Specsavers were the only 2 he could find online. Dont forget to insure them, he got behind the ear type and they are easily dislodged when removing a mask.

Last edited:
The qualifying criteria for treatment benefit (which includes optical, dental and aural benefits) can be found at this page

If you have a MyGovID welfare services account, you can check your eligibility via an online enquiry.

If you signed on for PRSI credits in 2019 then it looks as though you're in luck!

How to qualify (for treatment benefit)

Aged 25-65
From the age of 25 onwards, you must have at least 260 paid contributions

AND in addition have:

at least 39 paid or credited contributions in the governing contribution year (2019 is the governing contribution year for claims made in 2021)

The qualifying criteria for treatment benefit (which includes optical, dental and aural benefits) can be found at this page

If you have a MyGovID welfare services account, you can check your eligibility via an online enquiry.
I am trying to sort out MyGovID, I only applied a few months ago, as I got a PSC card and I gave all my details then, opened my account and it has my sons (20) ppsn and his name......sent an email no response yet.

Thanks

If you signed on for PRSI credits in 2019 then it looks as though you're in luck!

How to qualify (for treatment benefit)

Aged 25-65
From the age of 25 onwards, you must have at least 260 paid contributions

AND in addition have:

at least 39 paid or credited contributions in the governing contribution year (2019 is the governing contribution year for claims made in 2021)
They cancelled last year sign on , and said that they'd be updating records after I sign for credits in November.

Thanks

Mrs Rum and Black got hearing aids 4 years ago. They are over the ear hearing aids and cost approx 4500 euro for the pair. State paid a grant of 500 euro each towards them.
Tax relief could be claimed on the balance. Batteries need changing every 3 days as they are not the rechargeable type. I have been told we cannot claim any relief for the 100 euro or so we spend on batteries each year and our health insurance covers none of the expense except the hearing test which was covered by PRSI.
It is impossible to know if you are getting value for money as there seems to be no way to compare prices.
Agreed also to definitely insure them all risk because they are very easy to lose when taking off masks or glasses.
Best of luck and hope you are eligible for the grant at least.

There is a previous recommendation here on AAM in case it is of interest to you in connection with hearing test and purchase of aids.

I am trying to sort out MyGovID, I only applied a few months ago, as I got a PSC card and I gave all my details then, opened my account and it has my sons (20) ppsn and his name......sent an email no response yet.

Thanks

It should not take any length of time to open your own mygovid account other than a delay to get a password for a full access account.

From what you describe above it sounds as if you are trying to log onto your son's account. You should register yourself separately and sign up for a full account. They will forward password separately.

There is a previous recommendation here on AAM in case it is of interest to you in connection with hearing test and purchase of aids.

It should not take any length of time to open your own mygovid account other than a delay to get a password for a full access account.

From what you describe above it sounds as if you are trying to log onto your son's account. You should register yourself separately and sign up for a full account. They will forward password separately.
I did Sue Ellen got the letter and password and when I logged in there was his name and not his official name that appears on his passport/ driving licence or any official correspondence, it's the name he goes by.

I'll follow it up and thanks.

Batteries need changing every 3 days as they are not the rechargeable type
I heard that the re-chargeable type batteries cost an additional €400. If you are spending €100 a year on batteries, I suppose the re-chargeable will pay for themselves on year 4?

I heard that the re-chargeable type batteries cost an additional €400. If you are spending €100 a year on batteries, I suppose the re-chargeable will pay for themselves on year 4?
I will check this out but think my hearing aids are not suitable for the rechargeable batteries.
I would love to know if anyone has managed to compare prices of hearing aids or do they just go with whats presented to them from one professional.
My supplier has led me to believe that i would need to consider replacing these after 5 years . Any thought on that.

My wife got the soft sell from Specsavers this week. She is entitled to 2 x €500 hearing aids on her PRSI. These were not recommended and a more expensive pair suggested. My wife will get a payment from Social Welfare toward these.

Has anyone availed of the social welfare hearing aids and how did they find them?

Also, Hidden Hearing, what is the reason that they want your partner to attend when having a test? It is suggested, so that they can see how you hear when talking to your partner?

Has anyone availed of the social welfare hearing aids and how did they find them?
An elderly relative did and found them useless but I would question if she made any effort to try to get used to them as they warned her that she would have to do so.

A friend who bought an expensive set of hearing aids could not hear with them but some years later got the Social Welfare ones and and found them much better - go figure :) :)

My OH got the HSE hearing aids 4 years ago and found them quite good at first but as the hearing has probably deteriorated he probably needs an upgrade but they have told him now he is due a review.
I would recommend at least trying the HSE ones first as any hearing aids are very difficult to get used to and are not suitable for everyone. They will never sound like normal hearing but can be a major improvement

My OH got the HSE hearing aids 4 years ago and found them quite good at first but as the hearing has probably deteriorated he probably needs an upgrade but they have told him now he is due a review.
How often can you upgrade the social welfare hearing aids free of charge or is it a one time thing?

Not sure how often you can get a SW upgrade on hearing aid but an upgrade does not necessarily mean new hearing aids. It may be that they can tweek the ones you have.
As for Hidden hearing it very important to bring someone with you when having a test so that they can pick up on anything you missed due to your hearing loss

Is there a health insurance policy from either the VHI or Laya that offers cover on audiology/hearing/acoustic illnesses?

Is there a health insurance policy from either the VHI or Laya that offers cover on audiology/hearing/acoustic illnesses?

Looking through my table of benefits for PMI0710 with VHI it appears to only cover €40 contribution towards hearing test every two years under the day-to-day expenses.

Looking through my table of benefits for PMI0710 with VHI it appears to only cover €40 contribution towards hearing test every two years under the day-to-day expenses.
Thanks. I would get a free hearing test from Social Welfare. Not sure how often I can avail of this though. I am not sure that I would pay for a test if there was a free one available. Same with eye tests and dental cleaning.

I am beginning to realise that my Health Insurance are more donations to certain companies.

I am turning 70 years. My health insurance has maternity care and child care.....not relevant to me. I need a policy more suited to my age.....dental, eyes, hearing, etc

Why do the companies not have policies more relevant to a person's age?

Back