PRSAs

Haille

I am a primary teacher who left teaching early. I am coming 50 years.I have a pension of 28,500.I understand I cannot purchase PRSA's from from pension salary.I am only interested in them as a method of saving tax.My wife still teaches.I am in the process of buying an investment property with my lump sum+ interest only loan.I want to know if I can use the rental income to purchase PRSA's.I understand that if one is over 50 you can contibute a high % of ones income.Will this totally exclude my existing pension income? Would this be a good method of clearing the capital on the interest only loan after 20 years as well as getting tax relief on the way? We also have the option of using my wife's lump sum in 15 years to clear the capital.Any suggestions please

While you may contribute to a PRSA you won't get tax relief on your contributions so it wouldn't be advisable. Neither pensions nor rental income are considered assessable income for pension purposes.

Perhaps your wife could start an Additional Voluntary Contribution (AVC) in respect of her teaching income?

Liam D. Ferguson
www.ferga.com

Back