PRSA on Extra Income in Public Service?

k06351000

Registered User
Messages
127
I am a teacher and a member of the Single Public Service Pension Scheme. In 2025, I expect to earn approximately €50,000. Considering the pension contributions deducted from my salary and contributions to a PRSA AVC I will contribute €10,000 to my pension, which is the maximum 20% contribution for someone in their 30s.

So far, this is straightforward. However, I am confused about the treatment of additional income.

In addition to my teaching salary, I earned:

  • €10,000 from another job in a different field (no pension provided)
  • €5,000 from working in my school’s Summer Programme, paid through the SNA payroll
  • €1,000 income directly from my school (occasional bus escort)
All four sources of income are paid through the PAYE system.

I had assumed I could take this extra €16,000 in income and open a separate PRSA, contributing 20% (€3,200). However, I have now been told by two sources (albeit one was ChatGPT) that this is incorrect. Specifically, the €6,000 I earned that is “linked” to my main job cannot be considered pensionable, and therefore cannot be counted either towards my existing PRSA AVC or a separate PRSA.

Is this correct, and can someone explain why?
 
Pension contributions can be made from any earned income.

So you can make contributions from all 16k.

Is the 5k and 1k included in your main employment.

You can check this out in your employment details in Myaccount.

If these payments are included with your main employment the pension contributions would go to your existing AVC PRSA.

If they are a seperate employment they should be paid to a new PRSA.

Contributions from the 10k go to a new PRSA.
 
Back
Top