PRSA contribution for 2019

Rhymnoceros

Hi all,

I'm a standard PAYE worker and I want to make a lump sum contribution to my personal PRSA for 2019. Normally I understand this needs to be done and return submitted before 31/10 but I see for 'pay and file' customers this is extended to 12/11 and 10/12 for this year due to COVID.

Do I qualify for this extension or is that just for self employed people? I do file my return online using revenue my account so I'm unsure.

Thanks.

Hi,

No it is not just for self employed people. You will be able to qualify for this, subject to the following:
In order for you to qualify you must do both Pay and also do you Return through the ROS system.

here is a snippet from revenue website also:
"In order to qualify for the extension, customers must both pay and file through ROS, otherwise the relevant return and payment is due no later than 31 October 2020. ROS is available 24/7 and is the easiest and most efficient way to pay and file. "

Thanks
David

Thanks David,

Yeah I saw that and was a little confused when it said pay as I don't personally directly pay anything to Revenue online or otherwise though I do file my returns online, claiming for medical exp etc.

I think I'm probably reading a little too much into it and I'll make the payment to my PRSA this week and file the return online for the tax refund this week as well.

Appreciated the advice.

Thanks David,

Yeah I saw that and was a little confused when it said pay as I don't personally directly pay anything to Revenue online or otherwise though I do file my returns online, claiming for medical exp etc.

I think I'm probably reading a little too much into it and I'll make the payment to my PRSA this week and file the return online for the tax refund this week as well.

Appreciated the advice.

Looking into it further, if you do your tax return online and pay your tax liability online you need to have done the following:

Up until this year you would have to do your return by the 31st October and then you had until the 12th of November (roughly) to pay the liability.

This year now what has happened is that they have just extended the pay date for the tax liability from the 12th November to the 10th December. So in other words you have an extra month to pay the liability.

You will still need to have done your return however by the 31st of October.
So in theory if you haven't done your return yet you have missed the return deadline of the 31st of October....

Looking into it further, if you do your tax return online and pay your tax liability online you need to have done the following:

Up until this year you would have to do your return by the 31st October and then you had until the 12th of November (roughly) to pay the liability.

This year now what has happened is that they have just extended the pay date for the tax liability from the 12th November to the 10th December. So in other words you have an extra month to pay the liability.

You will still need to have done your return however by the 31st of October.
So in theory if you haven't done your return yet you have missed the return deadline of the 31st of October....

This is completely incorrect.

It’s perfectly fine to submit both the return and the payment on or before 10 December if both are done online.

That’s the deadline.

This “you have to submit the return by 31 October” stuff is just not the case.

This is completely incorrect.

It’s perfectly fine to submit both the return and the payment on or before 10 December if both are done online.

That’s the deadline.

This “you have to submit the return by 31 October” stuff is just not the case.

Thanks Gordon, so I'm good to make my lump sum payment to my PRSA and submit my return for my tax refund this week then ?
I was fairly confident I could just wasn't sure if it was only for self employed rather than PAYE workers. Appreciate the reply.

Back