Provisional Licience Holder- Ignition Assessment

*questions*

I'm looking into getting motor insurance for the first time as a provisional licience holder and I was quoted very favourably with One Direct if I passed the 1 hour Ignition assessment operated independantly by IAM (hibernian underwrite One Direct Motor Insurance)- just wondering if anyone's done this. I inquired and was told that it's not the same as a full driving test but focuses on awareness, mirror checking, general safety, slowing down for hazzards and finally one manouvre either parralell or reverse parking- eek? I've had a few lessons and a bit of practice so wondering if anyone else has done the asssessment- passed or failed and how long you feel you need to be driving to get through it,
thanks

Do it as soon as possible-don't pick up any bad habits. Much higher standard than the driving test. Warning: One Direct could be basing their quote on the assumption that you will achieve the best possible result (pass, merit and fail are the three grades I think), the quote will be the lowest with a merit, higher with a pass, and no quote if you fail. Best of luck. It's worth doing, as there are some good tips within.

Thanks CCOVICH; The Ignition Assessment I'm interested in is for provisional licience holders- I fall into this category. I'm hoping that someone who may have done this or knows someone who has might respond- I get the impression you may be referring to the the day long Ignition course for those who have passed their test within the past 5 years- apologies if I'm wrong.

If I thought I was in the category that the assessment was geared towards I'd definately do it- however I've only been able to find official details, which of course I'm taking on board but it would be good to hear from someone first hand how it was.

You're right-I was only talking about the test for full licence holders. I didn't know there was one for provisional licence holders.

What have you got to lose? Even if you fail, they pick up the tab. It's only if you book and don't show up that you will be charged. They won't cover you if you don't sit it anyway-right?

With both Ignition courses there is a 70euro fee paid directly to IAM, with the provisional assessment this is the only charge and is non refundable pass or fail- I believe the same is true with the 1 Day course for full licience holders. With the latter a deposit of 225 or 250 is payable and refunded on completion of the course (pass of fail), it is to guarantee attendance.
One Direct will not cover me without successful compeltion of the assessment I have however received a quote from Quinn Direct no ignition required- 800 euro in the difference though (this is for myself and another named driver also on a provisional)
My dillema is whether I'd be better to hold off for a while and pay for few more lessons and hope i pass the Ignition and get cover with One Direct or go ahead with Quinn direct now.

This must be new-myself and one of my friends took the course a few years ago and were refunded the full amount on completion.

4 more lessons would cost around €100? and could save you €800, so I would say you would be better off waiting a few weeks and taking extra lessons if you don't feel confident enought to sit the Ignition course now.

Best of luck.

Back