Provider of Cable TV in Co.Kildare

R

raz

Have just purchased a new house near Clane, Co.Kildare. Enquired about where to receive cable TV - to be told it's Chorus. Is its service reliable, and reception of the channels (BBC, ITV, C4, etc. and Teletext) any good?
Tks,
Raz

Yeah they are not bad. You get 17 chanels altogether. nearly had them a year and have had no problems.

Plenty of people disagree but I think they are fine. It is 24.99 a month and if you pay dd it is 23.99 a month.

Is the Clane service digital? I know Chourus are upgrading Naas at present. The analog service does not carry discovery etc. Chorus is in examinership at present this might have some bearing on your decision. Chorus customer service has improved over the last few years both call centre and the installation guys. Their Customer Service is far better than NTL. Also, if your a big telly addict, consider getting the second point in at a small additional cost.
ajapale

Second Point

Not too sure about digital services. www.chorus.ie might be best.

In relation to second point, I wouldn't bother with asking chorus to do it. They might do it for free but they will charge you about a fiver a month.

Best going to local hardware store and buying cable and splitting it yourself and running to whatever room you want.

Someone you know will be able to advise you how to do this if you don;t know. The connection willmore than likeytl be outside so split it there and run it up your house, through the facia board and into the attic. Then down through the roof into whaever room you want.

I couldn't recommend Chorus as a provider. I've found them far worse to deal with in previous years than NTL (which is saying something). Be prepared for days of no TV service, just a frozen picture on the screen for up to 3 days or more. This happens every couple of months. Perhaps its just local to Kildare but they didn't kill themselves repairing anything too fast. Their prices seem to be constantly on the rise as well.

Just to give you my own experience of them.

Re: ..

Sky Digital is another option. €28.50 per month for sports- and film-less service.

Re: ..

I'm thinking of getting in that Sky digital option myself, as Chorus reception is not good where I live.

Was wondering about the earlier suggestion of splitting the cable. Would I be able to do this with Sky Digital??

Re: Second Point

Hi decbuk,

When I suggested the second point I meant a second independent point. I might be wrong but when you spilt it yourself you have to watch the same program on the second point.

I seem to remember that over on boards.ie the discussion on cable is a lot more advanced than here.

ajapale

No that is not with cable. only digital.

cullenswood,
Consider that the cable comes in with scrambled data. Even if you did split it you'd need a second DigiBox and card to watch it in another room.

If you're not talking about multiple people watching different things then you could consider getting a . It lets you 'beam' the DigiBox output around the house so you can pick it up on another TV.

I have chorus. No problem at all. Internet is perfect, TV also...and cheaper than NTL.

Have just moved to new development in Clane to a duplex apt. and NTL are only providing cable service there at the moment, they said digital is being rolled out in the next few months.

Would love to go with Sky (referencing management company rules now as nearly sure that we're not allowed a dish).

Anyone know of any other digital TV services in Clane?

Any help appreciated.

can't recommend Chorus...I live in Naas and the service for teh first couple of yrs was crap. Have been with Sky Didtal now for about 7rs and never turned back

We have Chorus analog service since we moved in about 4 months ago. Apart from the fact that you only get stereo on the 4 Irish channels, and Eurosport (seldom any other channel) occasionally freezes up for anything from a couple of hours to a couple of days, it's grand...:)

Already checked with Chorus and we're an NTL area even tho they're same company. NTL installing cable today and rolling out digital over next few months!

There is a cable tv shop down at the bottom of the town, across the road from Aldi on the prosperous road. He should be able to help you.

Also, you could try [broken link removed] if you aren't allowed use a dish. It's a little expensivce but it will work if you really want SKY.

Back