Protecting garden wall from strimmer damage

NewEdition

I have damaged the plaster on the bottom of the garden walls through use of the strimmer to cut grass edges.
Its down to the brick in places and the paint has come off all around the base of the wall and it doeant look good.

I will replaster those small areas, but it will happen again as I use the strimmer.

How do others get around this problem?

Short term - apply Round Up along the base of the wall so you don't have to strim.

Long term - set down a mowing strip along the wall base so your lawnmower cuts all the grass to the edge and you've no strimming to do.

Short-term, avoid using Roundup, a component of which is a known carcinogen, the use of which is banned in the USA.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...weedkiller-wins-new-five-year-lease-in-europe

Use white vinegar in a spray bottle which is a kinder way to kill grass and weeds. Yes, you will need more vinegar than Roundup but you'll also do less damage to humans, other species and their environment and spend less money. Alternatively install weed-suppression fabric along the bottom of the wall, securing it to the ground using staples made from wire coat-hangers.

Right. Roundup may be a bit unsightly, wont it burn the grass?

What is a mowing strip? This could be the answer. Bear in mind the wall foundations may be in the way if they are under a shallow depth of soil

The weedkiller - whatever version you want - will kill off the grass directly by the wall so you dont have to strim it.

A mowing strip is a narrow paved strip which you can mow directly over. You'll find lots of images / ideas online.

Roundup is a great product and I’d highly recommend using it to kill weeds. But “Roundup” is a trade name, the active component is Glyphosate. You can buy own brand weed killer in Tesco and many other places that contain Glyphosate for a fraction of the cost. However, it’s a translocation systemic weed killer, it’ll kill the current weeds but more will come back. I’d suggest using it as a short term measure until you come up with a better place, such as a mowing strip. (I cannot understand anyone that uses weed killer year-in-year-out on the same patch. A waste of time, money, etc.)
The Glyphosate itself breaks down in a short time when it makes contact with the soil, remaining active in the bottle and the plant only. Yes, it contains carcinogens. But alcohol, cigarettes, red meat, Vitamin C, sunlight, and many other things can cause cancer.
I wouldn’t use vinegar, eventually it’ll poison the soil. It won’t break down as Glyphosate does.
A fabric weed barrier works well for a couple of years. But natural mulch and debris, such as leaves, will collect on the surface, break down, and will soon collect weed seeds and you’ll be back to square one.
Overall, I think Thirsty’s advice is best.

Or you could use a long handler lawn sears instead of the strimmer!

Back