Protected no claims bonus

Budgie

I don't know if people have heard of this scam...the protected no claims bonus.

Last year, I had an accident, my insurer told me that as I had a protected NCB, my no claims bonus was still intact. So far, so good.

At the next renewal, insurer increased the premium massively (even with the NCB).

I decided to shop around. As far as other insurers are concerned, I made a claim and I had no NCB. The Protected NCB was a contractual agreement with the existing insurer but all bets were off elsewhere. They quoted me equally high premiums.

Anyways, I paid for something that I did not get in the end. Tempted to try the Ombudsman and will let you know if/when I get a response in a year or two.

Lesson : Beware!!!!

I heard of something similar from a colleague. He was told that claiming for a windscreen did not affect his no claims bonus. So when some scumbag threw a rock from a flyover on the M50, he claimed to get his windscreen fixed.

A few years later, he rang his insurance company to tell them he was getting insurance elsewhere, and could they fax his no claims bonus to his new insurers. They obliged, but the claim for windscreen damage was disclosed and the new insurer would not accept that he had a full no claims bonus.

I have twice got a replacement windscreen without it affecting my 'no claims'. I think that if your car is stolen and burnt out that shouldn’t affect your 'no claims' either. I never get 'no claims' protection.

michaelm said:
I have twice got a replacement windscreen without it affecting my 'no claims'.

Was this with the same insurer each time, or did you claim with one insurer, and then transfer to a different insurer the following or subsequent years?

I don't remember exactly as it was a few years ago but on the basis that I used to switch insurer, chasing the best quote, each year I would say yes I did claim and transfer. I have had two car insurance and one home insurance with FBD for the past few years because I just can't beat the quotes elsewhere.

Back