Prospect Manor, Rathfarnham

Usurper

Hi, I hope someone living in this area can help me out.
I am looking to buy a house soon in and about the prospect manor estate in Dublin 16.
The houses in this estate are relatively modern and comfortable I would imagine, and a lot of them seem to have been well upgraded over the years, which is why it appealed to us. We have 3 young kids, so dont want to do any serious renovation work.
My question is, why are there so many of them for sale currently, and looking at the property price register, there seems to be a constant queue of them for sale over the years. Is there some issue with the area, that people are moving away from it?
I know its a little out of the way, but thought going by the age of the estate, youngish families would prefer modern comfortable houses compared to older stock that are nearer rathfarnham village etc.
Maybe I am worrying too much, and the amount of houses for sale is a typical turnover.

Prospect Manor seems to be a lovely estate -mature, well maintained and lovely houses. There has been a lot of new estates being built in the last year or so further up Stocking Avenue, and there's also the newly built estate Scholarstown Wood in the area, so this is causing a build up of traffic in the area, which is probably going to get worse

Hi, I hope someone living in this area can help me out.
I am looking to buy a house soon in and about the prospect manor estate in Dublin 16.
The houses in this estate are relatively modern and comfortable I would imagine, and a lot of them seem to have been well upgraded over the years, which is why it appealed to us. We have 3 young kids, so dont want to do any serious renovation work.
My question is, why are there so many of them for sale currently, and looking at the property price register, there seems to be a constant queue of them for sale over the years. Is there some issue with the area, that people are moving away from it?
I know its a little out of the way, but thought going by the age of the estate, youngish families would prefer modern comfortable houses compared to older stock that are nearer rathfarnham village etc.
Maybe I am worrying too much, and the amount of houses for sale is a typical turnover.

I used to live there. We bought as a new build when they were first constructed.

Overall - I thought it was a great estate. At the time there was a good community feel about the place. The houses were good - never heard of anyone having problems with the build quality. I guess most of the people who bought back then were probably first time buyers and starting up families - probably helps with the community feel

I would think the reason for the sales is probably people like us. Bought there as a starter house - or eventually wanted to move closer to town eventually (I think we moved after about 7 or 8 years). But we also had neighbours who stayed there for a lot longer. The other thing is that it has more houses in it than you might think at first glance.

I would guess the traffic going down the hill in the morning might be backed up. It wasn't too bad back then but I'm guessing with the estates having been built further up the traffic is bad. And I believe traffic over by Woodstown is very bad and possibly people try to come down Stocking Lane to avoid it. There is a bus route there now (15B) which wasn't there when we were living there. Having said all that - I think it is a much nicer estate than the other more recent ones.

BTW - there are two styles of houses in the estate because two different builders built them. The red bricked ones were originally more expensive and are slightly larger than the equivalent pinkish hued houses. We had one of the pink three bedroomed ones and I actually think they were a better design than the red bricked version. There was also some very good tweaks you could do with them (attic conversions for example).

Happy to answer any questions

Thank you for the replies.
Emmdee, just wondering if you know what the local schools are for boys that would serve prospect manor?

Thank you for the replies.
Emmdee, just wondering if you know what the local schools are for boys that would serve prospect manor?

Hi - you mentioned you had young kids so assuming primary schools. Ours didn't go to the very local schools - they went to Rathfarnham Parish National School which is about 15 mins away. There is definitely one on Ballyroan Road which is closer and I think another off Taylor's Lane - also closer. I never heard anything bad about those two. Ours was good.

We live locally. Our kids go to St Colmcilles which I assume is also the feeder school for prospect. As others said I'd imagine traffic is the worst thing especially with the new estates. The other issue is the halting site up the road but it's not new and fairly settled as far as I know. It's more knocklyon than rathfarnham.

Back