Proposed European Super League

This is just the natural evolution on the Premiership model into the NFL model.

The NFL model has a number of differences which this league won't; (a) the draft system to try to improve weaker teams and maintain a competitiveness over time, (b) salary caps and significant rules around financial dealings and a very transparent contracting system and (c) geographic spread and a planned approach to locating teams across the territory

The NFL model has a number of differences which this league won't; (a) the draft system to try to improve weaker teams and maintain a competitiveness over time, (b) salary caps and significant rules around financial dealings and a very transparent contracting system and (c) geographic spread and a planned approach to locating teams across the territory
What, you mean Russian oligarchs and Arabs with alleged connections to terrorist groups can't buy teams in the NFL to wash their blood money? Thankfully that can't happen in the English Premiership either, right?

Hmm if the league isnt under FIFA / UEFA / FA auspices would that invalidate all player contracts?

What, you mean Russian oligarchs and Arabs with alleged connections to terrorist groups can't buy teams in the NFL to wash their blood money? Thankfully that can't happen in the English Premiership either, right?

Lol - I'm sure they could find a way. NFL owners are a "mixed" bunch. But they'd find it hard to just pump money into the team to "buy" success.

I was more referring to the idea of a fixed franchise league - it needs some balances to keep competitive. And having 3 "franchises" in one city and none from most of the European markets seems a very narrow base to propose this. If you really wanted a breakaway European football league they should have a team in London, one in the North of England, representation from France, Germany, Istanbul, Eastern Europe, Spain / Portugal.

It feels lacking in depth as a proposal

Can't understand why Celtic aren't in there. Man U share price up 7.5% today.

It looks - at least initially - that they have gathered a number of teams who have significant non-European branding and following rather than domestic support. They are also a collection of clubs many of whom have significant financial problems (not all). I don't think they really are factoring in any local / domestic support.

But the big missing piece for me is no PSG and no German club. If you wanted historic "brands" across Europe you might have Celtic but you would need a German club, a French - maybe a Dutch one (Ajax or PSG). So having 3 from one city and none from most of the leagues seems to imply local market isn't a driver

Can't understand why Celtic aren't in there. Man U share price up 7.5% today.

Simple answer? Don't bring enough in TV attractiveness to the table. England, Spain and Italy are in. They are waiting for France and Germany to join. They all have huge TV markets themselves and Asian support. Smaller Countries/Leagues are not welcome

Simple answer? Don't bring enough in TV attractiveness to the table. England, Spain and Italy are in. They are waiting for France and Germany to join. They all have huge TV markets themselves and Asian support. Smaller Countries/Leagues are not welcome
There are a billion Catholics in the World. Surely they are all Celtic fans.

There are a billion Catholics in the World. Surely they are all Celtic fans.
They are the team for besieged Catholics.

I dont think the Catholics of Mexico, Brazil, Portugal, Italy, Spain etc quite get it.

Speaking of Portugal, Porto would probably have a better claim than Celtic.
And whats the point of having Celtic without Rangers...

ESL goes ahead and 20 years from now, Arsenal Spurs and Athletico to name just 3 of the weaker permanent members, will have relocated to Moscow Berlin Istanbul or maybe even New York. The promise of a new stadium and a large relocation fee will turn heads for people who are only clearly interested in money.
It's a stupid idea but they'll probably water it down a bit and get some form of an ESL through that keeps UEFA and national associations happy...for a few years at least until it ramps up again

Reading the comments of Florentino Perez, Real Madrid President, this morning on Sky Sports - this is to "save football at this critical moment".

"Audiences are decreasing and rights are decreasing and something had to be done. We are all ruined. Television has to change so we can adapt. Young people are no longer interested in football. Why not? Because there are a lot of poor quality games and they are not interested, they have other platforms on which to distract themselves."

I think he has a point. But he is delusional in thinking he is providing an answer.

Football, like all sports, is competing for market share.

Perez, FSG Fenway, Roman Abramovich, Abu Dhabi United Group et al, as owners of these clubs should be mindful of some things. They may be the legal owners, and control the business and commercial side of their respective clubs but they do not own the history, tradition and culture that is the centre of gravity of these clubs. They are using long standing institutions, embedded in the fabric of English and European culture to boost revenues and market share in the name of their respective companies. That is all, that is their job.

But instead of using iconic branding like Man Utd or Liverpool FC, they should do the decent thing and rename the clubs FSG Fenway FC, Glazer FC etc

Supporters can then tune in to watch Abramovich FC v Abu Dhabi United Group in what would be, no doubt, a pulsating and epic battle in front of zero supporters (post-Covid).

Perez talks the talk about too many boring low quality games, he has a point. But I when I lived in Dublin I did not attend League of Ireland matches in November for the razzmatazz!
Boring, low quality games are a characteristic of football, and of all sports in general. Thats because, unlike a 9 season -180 episode Netflix series, the events are not automatically formulated and scripted to leave the viewer hanging for more at the end of each event. Disappointment and dejection come with watching competing teams and players.

Perez wants us to believe that this is about producing 20 elite teams that will enthrall the audiences week in- week out. All anyone has to do to observe how this franchise, elite format works, is to look to NFL and NBA and MLB in the USA.
I'm not expert on these sports, but I know I boring basketball game or a boring American football game when I see one, and there are plenty of low quality games on display in those 'elite' leagues also.

This is money-grabbing, never-let-a-crisis go to waste and opportunistic ego-massaging exercise.

Can't understand why Celtic aren't in there

There is game theory at play here. These parasites have left the door open for another 8 (willing) clubs. Clubs, owned presumably by like-minded elitist types.

Celtic have a strong European tradition, they have a support base beyond Scotland (mainly Ireland). It, and Rangers, are so dominant in Scotland that they are arguably too big and strong for that league.
Celtic and Rangers have long being referenced as joining a Super British league. It has never come to pass, but an opportunity to join a ESL will, I have no doubt, be on the agenda for their respective owners.

Back