Property tax calculations

Yachtie

Why didn't they introduce Property Tax based on square footage / meterage of the dwelling? They could have thrown in incentives for better energy performance or something. On the same note, they could have reduced percentage of VAT for construction related services (to maybe 9% from 13.5%) to incentivise both people energy upgrading their homes in order to reduce their future energy bills AND property tax and creating jobs in battered construction sector. They could have ran it as a pilot project for 2-3 years and see if it works.

This way, home owners in south Dublin, city and county will be paying disproportionately more in comparison to the rest of the country.

Also, it appears that the owner of a 1 bed apartment in Dublin is likely to be paying more than the owner of 4 bed detached house down the country.

That would have needed brains and vision....and if they displayed that they could not play dumb on the croke park agreement.

Also, it appears that the owner of a 1 bed apartment in Dublin is likely to be paying more than the owner of 4 bed detached house down the country.

In all fairness Yachtie, the owner of a 1 bed apartment in Dublin receives much more from local services than the owner of a 4 bed detached house down the country. Given that this tax is described as being used to fund local services then this seems fair to me. I certainly would not be happy paying the same as the owner of an apartment in a city center if I owned a house in the country where I had to install my own septic tank, source my own water, etc. (I don't by the way, just showing how any system used can be described as fair or unfair depending on your angle).

In all fairness Yachtie, the owner of a 1 bed apartment in Dublin receives much more from local services than the owner of a 4 bed detached house down the country. Given that this tax is described as being used to fund local services then this seems fair to me. I certainly would not be happy paying the same as the owner of an apartment in a city center if I owned a house in the country where I had to install my own septic tank, source my own water, etc. (I don't by the way, just showing how any system used can be described as fair or unfair depending on your angle).

Apartment owners in Dublin are already paying management fees because their properties/land are private and are never going to be taken in hand by local councils. We already pay for landscaping, ground maintenance, grass cutting, esb on the lights, etc....

Apartment owners in Dublin are already paying management fees because their properties/land are private and are never going to be taken in hand by local councils. We already pay for landscaping, ground maintenance, grass cutting, esb on the lights, etc....

... but not water nor sewerage, the services mentioned by @CeistBeag.

... but not water nor sewerage, the services mentioned by @CeistBeag.

Ceist Beag used some examples, I used other examples. The houses across the road from me do not have management fees and receive water and sewerage the same as me. But their pavements, road, grass, lighting etc is looked after by the council - while I pay for mine.

People down in country areas don't even get sewerage services.

The Government could have saved 500 million reforming local government.

Again, they don't have the bottle.

They prefer bringing in property tax for many who are in mortagage arrears and negative equity.

Shameless Stuff,

.... many do.

Only a very small percentage of rural dwellers are served by a local authority sewerage system.

To a Dublin person "down the country" is everyone outside Dublin including Cork and Limerick City.

To urban/town/village dwellers "out the country" refers to people who live in areas surround by fields and have scenery.

I'm unclear on the link between property tax and negative equity.

The point is, how do the government expect people with properties in negative equity (which they cannot sell) and mortage arrears (so they are already in financial trouble) to come up with property tax on top of their existing problems?

The point is, how do the government expect people with properties in negative equity (which they cannot sell) and mortage arrears (so they are already in financial trouble) to come up with property tax on top of their existing problems?

I see the link with mortgage arrears.

I believe that negative equity is a seperate issue. In some cases they intersect, but not all. There are property owners in negative equity who could afford the property tax. The fact that they cannot sell their home (assuming they even want to) is not relevant.

There are property owners in negative equity who could afford the property tax. The fact that they cannot sell their home (assuming they even want to) is not relevant.

Unless one of the reasons they wish to do so is to pay lower property tax.

Maybe. I see negative equity to be an issue seperate to financial distress.

It does depend on the situation to be fair. I personally feel trapped because if I had foreseen property tax on top of management fees I would not have bought in a managed estate. But I cant sell due to negative equity.

Where does that figure come from ?

A report on local government reform that this govt has sat on.

It was completed for John Gormley.

More savings were identified than what property tax is set to raise.

My original post is about the basis of calculation of tax rather than home owner's financial circumstances, even though I do agree with points you all raised.

Are you sure? from reading various reports I gathered that one bedroom apartments are going for two a penny in Dublin!

Back