Property Management Company

A

Aidan3

I bought a house in an estate 4 years ago and there's a Property Management Company appointed. The house type I bought came with a built in garage that is part of the main house. Over the past 3 years, five other houses in the estate have converted the garage to an extra room by replacing the garage door with a window. I've recently had the same job done but the management company have contacted me to ask why I had not sought their permission (I've checked the lease and it appears to me that it can be done unless the colour scheme of the estate is being interrupted or planning permission is required). If it turns out that the conversions are not in keeping with the terms of the leases but do not require planning permission, can the management company force us the take them out ?

depends on the conditions when you purchased , you can get retention but that may not make them happy. you have breached your contract.

you are part of the management company , they are you not 'they' . the lads who wrote are the agent instructed by YOUR company,

Aidan3 said:
I've recently had the same job done but the management company have contacted me to ask why I had not sought their permission
Is this permission necessary under the lease agreement? Was planning permission required separately?
(I've checked the lease and it appears to me that it can be done unless the colour scheme of the estate is being interrupted or planning permission is required).
Is this the case for your alterations?
f it turns out that the conversions are not in keeping with the terms of the leases but do not require planning permission, can the management company force us the take them out ?
In theory yes. But I know from experience that this is a bit of a grey area (as is the whole issue of management companies in general in many respects). Firstly what's "in keeping" with the area can be very vague in terms of its definition in the management agreement lease and secondly the management company (including you as pointed out above) may only be able to enforce their rules by resorting to law at the (potentially significant) expense of the company/householders. If you are confident that the alterations are not in breach of the (possibly vague) management company lease agreement rules then stand your ground. It's your house.

ClubMan said:
Is this permission necessary under the lease agreement? Was planning permission required separately?
Is this the case for your alterations?
In theory yes. But I know from experience that this is a bit of a grey area (as is the whole issue of management companies in general in many respects). Firstly what's "in keeping" with the area can be very vague in terms of its definition in the management agreement lease and secondly the management company (including you as pointed out above) may only be able to enforce their rules by resorting to law at the (potentially significant) expense of the company/householders. If you are confident that the alterations are not in breach of the (possibly vague) management company lease agreement rules then stand your ground. It's your house.

this is correct, usually within the document it will say that if you are to make any changes then you must obtain prior written consent, however, that consent cannot be unreasonably witheld - obviously it depends on the wording of the document but if a preceedent has already been set on the estate and they have been given consent then you should also be given consent - the management company is possibly flexing its muscle.

Back