Property Investments without becoming a landlord

Jordan Belfort

I had considered a "buy to let" property investment but was wondering if there any other ways of investing in the Irish market without becoming a landlord ?

Thanks. Looks like these are taxed like shares in that distributions are "income" and they liable for CGT on sale. Am I reading correctly ?

Do these have stamp duty on purchase and/or sale ?

I might split 50/50 residential and commercial to get a bit of diversification.

A number of the Irish life assurance companies, like Irish Life, have Irish Commercial Property funds. As a retail investor, 1% Government Levy applies on entry and Exit Tax applies on growth on the way out, or every 8 years.

Thanks. Looks like these are taxed like shares in that distributions are "income" and they liable for CGT on sale. Am I reading correctly ?

Do these have stamp duty on purchase and/or sale ?

I might split 50/50 residential and commercial to get a bit of diversification.

I share your understanding about the distribution income being taxed, and CGT on disposal. At least, that's how I've been conducting fo rthe past few years...

With the stamp duty on purchase...it's the same as anything purchased on the ISE. From reading this last year, there is an exemption if below €1,000 as far as I know: http://www.finance.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Stamp-Duty-Shares-Public-Consultation-.pdf

Just to mention with REITs, they come in for a bit of criticism, as the management team typically pay themselves a fortune, reducing the income to you

If you are considering buying a REIT, read the prospectus very carefully. As Dardania says, some of the management companies really milk it for all they can. You also need to take a look at details of how they are financing the purchases.

I just see the following on ISE. Has anyone thoughts on these, good or bad ?
  • GREEN REIT PUBLIC LIMITED COMPANY
  • HIBERNIA REIT PLC
  • IRISH RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES REIT PLC

Back