property in Singapore

Anyone got any first hand knowledge of property market in Singapore for rentals?

Do you mean potential rental return? Yields are low, purchase prices are too high. Most locals are investing in other markets in asia for the last year.
In a good area the demand for rental is good, just dont expect it to cover your mortgage payments...

Out of interest what sort of yields are available here, HK and Japan?

Where in Asia has the highest yields? I hear Vietnam but difficult land and title issues.

Out of interest what sort of yields are available here, HK and Japan?

Where in Asia has the highest yields? I hear Vietnam but difficult land and title issues.

Gross yields in Japan as far as I know are around 6 to 7%. rents are very high, around 20% higher then ireland, but sale prices are very high as well your looking at about $500,000 for a decent sized apartment (50-60sqm) which you might rent for 3000$ + a month

Prices are falling now though as per the global situation

Hong Kong yields arent as good. You might get 4.5% gross on a studio if your lucky. Sale prices boomed in 07, and the dropped significantly in the last half of 08. .

Both places though you have good occupancy rates because of the dense population.

Regarding the rest of Asia you can great returns in this part of the world in certain pockets of different countries. But in general the higher yields are obtained in the riskier places to invest, the more underdeveloped countries with tricky land laws and permits etc for developers. Yields achievable around asia in some commerical developments and top end resorts are much greater then europe. Tell a chinese guy he will get 15% yield on his investment into a shopping centre and he wont even blink, europeans would bite your hand off for that. But of course with greater reward comes greater risk...

If memory serves, there's a pretty big flaw in the Singapore rental market. Obviously the population is relatively small as is but I believe that just under 90% of the population live in government subsidized / sponsored accommodation (they're the multi-coloured buildings you see everywhere). That leaves your rental base pretty thin. I would say there are areas of the city where there is strong rental demand, i.e. around Orchard Road but the prices are astronomical. Because it's a city state though, in the grand scheme of things, you would be unlikely to lose money.

Do you not have to be a Singaporian national to buy property there? My brother lives there and he had to buy with his (local) wife.

Forget Vietnam. My old man is doing some consultancy there at the moment and from what he says it would be a nightmare (if not impossible) to buy property there with clear title.

Do you not have to be a Singaporian national to buy property there? My brother lives there and he had to buy with his (local) wife.

I have two friends who bought there last year, so I doubt you need to be a National.
The vast majority of the rental market of the types of property offered to foreign buyers is to expats, of which there are a lot in Singapore.
That said, there is also a great deal of high-quality property for rent, albeit rents are quite high in the better parts.

Back