property abroad: Inheritance and other legal issues

micamaca

Does anyone know if you buy a property abroad, in a non-EU country (my husband is from this country) does this property fall under the law of Irish marriage laws, the non-eu country's laws or international law?

Basically what I'm asking if something happened to my husband and the property is in the sole name of my husband, would I inherit the property by virtue of Irish marriage or would it have to fall under other laws too.

Any ideas? Has anyone bought abroad and got advice about protecting your rights if this type of thing happens?

thanks mica

Re: property abroad

Mica,

I can only speak for Croatia, but the only straightforward way I know is what my colleague (who's a lawyer) told me what to do with my own place.

In the country (in my case Croatia) I need to make a will (contract) and have it notarised naming my heir or some such. That way if something happens to me the person named in the will has a legal right to take control of the property. I know that in Croatia, as of yet, there is no easy way of a non-national taking over a property from a spouse or parent. If you want to pm me with particulars I can send them onto my colleague, he works half time with the land court and is well versed on regional and european land laws.

Normally in relation to land, it is the laws of the country where the land is situate that govern what happens in the event of a death. so if buying property abroad the important thing is to take legal advice in THAT country before you buy to safeguard the asset.

Hi Vanilla,

that's the bit I wasn't sure about, which law applies. Well that gives me some time to set up a meeting with a solicitor there anyway...and to have a few choice questions ready.

Thanks folks, mica

Back