Promoted but no payrise

I think if you did not get a pay cut then in a funny way that is a pay rise if you get my meaning,
Promotions should not be just about money,you are valued by the company and now they are going to give you more experience resulting in you having a better CV.
Can I ask you if they had offered you the new promotion and said due to the weak economy we need to get a 5% cut throughout the company ,what would you have done. Just for the record I would take the new job but that is just me.

i don't see how it can be described as a promotion without any enhancement of salary or benifits for the individual.Its just a change of job description probably meaning increased workload and only benefits the company.You were right to refuse to work extra for no thanks.

It seems to me your true worth is not been valued here. The usual story of the willing horse etc.
From your original post this promotion required either a move to Dublin or a long commute and your Company were not even prepared to compensate you for that. It sounds like you would have accepted if they had shown any recognition of your commitiment. They didn't so yes you made the correct decision.

say, for example, you are in Job X, have performed well in that job and do it very well with lots of experience and are being paid for it at top of its scale. So then you change to Job Y, the base salary for this job might be lower than top end of Job X, you are only learning the job, its more responsibility and company doesn't know how you will potentially perform in that role. I can see why a pay rise is not necessarily a right in the case, but maybe there should be an assurance that performance would be reviewed within x number of months. What the promotion would give you though is portability - either in same company or new company. I've taken promotion for less money - the experience was worth it and the money came in time.

say, for example, you are in Job X, have performed well in that job and do it very well with lots of experience and are being paid for it at top of its scale. So then you change to Job Y, the base salary for this job might be lower than top end of Job X, you are only learning the job, its more responsibility and company doesn't know how you will potentially perform in that role. I can see why a pay rise is not necessarily a right in the case, but maybe there should be an assurance that performance would be reviewed within x number of months. What the promotion would give you though is portability - either in same company or new company. I've taken promotion for less money - the experience was worth it and the money came in time.

That example sounds more like a career change than a promotion.

Stevie,

This is scary, if someone in my job read this thread they would think this was me under your alias! This is exactly what happened to me. In fact, they done it twice already. I was "awarded" the opportunity to "better" myself within the company by getting "promoted". My idea and their idea of a promotion are completly different things. These are called sidemotions (increased work or responsibility under the guise of a PROmotion with absolutely positively no reward or that there ever will be). Thats why the promotion is held at a different time to the pay review (not really a review, its you got something or you didn't) It is the utmost insult to any living human being's intelligence on the plannet. And to sit there and tell you otherwise is to directly tell you that you are not wanted, pack your bags. Its a strategy used to encourage people to leave because these days its impossible to sack someone if the company is doing ok and your performance is *************************. They plant the seeds to make you angry and let them germinate over time. Lets face it, why does your company work? To make money, right? Why do you work for the company? To make money! Although I like what I do there is no way I would do it for nothing, I have a kids/mortgage etc... I sat with my boss and he told me I had been promoted, I said "what again", do I get anything this time? He said well no, thats for HR to decide (already my blood is boiling). He could not tell me what the promotion even meant, he just said "you'll be doing the same job more or less". It was the more or less aspect I was interested in that he purposely left grey and without any intel. I just told him thanks but no thanks. He fell off his seat! He must have been thinking to himself, why is the sucker saying no this time? He said so your are declinging the promotion? I asked, what exactly am I declining? NOTHING! Your offering me nothing, so yes, I'm declining nothing!

Dude, you done the best thing. I read your thread hoping you didn't take that promotion, I'm so glad you didn't, keep your calmness and tell them if this is their way of rewarding people who do good work in that place then dont bother as it is insulting, Id sooner you come out with it and say you want me to leave. This is becoming more common. I have become absolutely positively demotivated as a result of that muck. I now only do what I'm asked to do.

Back