Profit from Global Warming.

MichaelDes

Al Gore would hardly love this banner, though he's made plenty of money out of it too. Call me cynical, in my opinion Global Warming is nothing other than total superstition but historically it hasn't stopped traders making heaps of money out of such things. So therefore within this story, I am looking amongst other things at the Carbon Credits Market but it is still relatively new. Gore has major involvement in the Carbon Credits market but I believe it is very volatile - anyone invested in it and knows less risky ways in.

Or maybe, does anyone know any other way to profit from this scare mongering market? Alternative energy sources such as solar panels and wind to me are a subsidised jokes [although differing views welcome] but I do have some shares in Uranium which is a sort of play in the sector. Any views - such as Hybrids that are low on Carbon etc or some other cleaner more efficient diesel technologies, or ethanol substitution for oil [don't think it's as bad for the planet]. Is there any one else other than Toyota making strides etc in the transport market [they seem to be the ipod of mp3's]. Peak oil could also play a part, such as clean burning coal rather oil for energy production, or trains for transport instead of cars or planes - anything that is more energy efficient or fuel efficient.

I want to make a sizeable enough investment on individual shares or in various sectors, any opinions on how to profit from this phenomenon would be very welcome. Finally although Global Warming through carbon emissions is a myth in my opinion, I do believe as a side effect, changes being made to companies through the Kyto agreements etc may rein in dirty pollution - therefore my profiteering from it keeps me ethical, somewhat?

there was a v interesting article on toyota on the times on sunday, toyota seem to be ahead of the game in the hybrid market and are bringing out a new more efficient prius shortly. honda have a decent model but has not reached the same profile as the prius. gm are working on a new fuel cell battery but it is based on the same technologyas they use in some laptops that caught fire and the japanese are unimpressed as you can imagine, the toyota ceo was v committed to becoming the world leader in hybrid sales. as far as the carbon credit markets are concerned i dont know much about i'm afraid but it does seem interesting...

Read the earnings reports from companies in the irrigation equipment
business, they had a nice year and a positive outlook.

Lots of reasons for the increased sales, hot weather, more maintenance, high crop prices with a need for more efficient use of water.

I've put a few quid into the RaboDirect/MLIF New Energy Fund - you should take a look at the prospectus and price history - might suit you

Global Warming is nothing other than total superstition

I think there's a fair few scientists who'd disagree on that! But if you're looking for ideas on investing, you might pick up a few on [broken link removed]

A really interesting topic in my opinion, and one which has been bouncing around this site in various guises for a while. How you trade climate change will depend on your level of conviction. The laws of physics say there is something happening which will affect economies and investor returns over decades. On that timescale I like nuclear, solar (japanese firms worth a punt) and fuel cells. Agri technology. Desalination. Also carbon trading exchanges (there's only one in europe). Actually I like all these on a short timescale as well.

Short term of course it can seem like any other fad. Lots of opportunism, dodgy technology, hype and BS. Wind and maize ethanol would not exist without huge subsidies, are subject to politics, and have too much downside in my opinion.

Water? Desalination, yes. But best irrigation solutions are cheap low tech rainwater capture and storage. Great but not a lot of money in that.

And by the way, its OK to ask how to make money from global warming. In fact that's the way to save the planet.

I think there's a fair few scientists who'd disagree on that!

Hi Webtax...my comment is somewhat wrongly constructed. I believe the planet may be warming, although if it is, "carbon emissions" or some of the other hypothesizes espoused are not the cause, it's a natural phenomena. But Kyoto somewhat disagrees with my versions. That's another story and that’s okay. However, I'm looking to profit as a result of these new global restrictions placed on industry and also trying to evaluate other growth areas for profitable speculations. Thanks for the link though.

Back