procedures at accident scene

dewdrop

I gather unless someone is injured it is not necessary to call Gardai at accident scene. In such cases and also where traffic is blocked what are the important steps one should take. I am aware of getting personal insurance details, not admitting liability, carry a camera but there may be other steps i am overlooking.

I think you have covered it. I think an effort should be made to move cars off the road unless they are severely damaged. Admitting liability at that stage will hardly jeopardise the substantive points of any claim.
I had a recent colliision which resulted in a successful damages claim. First thing I did when I got home was compose a collision report using google maps satellite imagery and overalying this with diagrams and actual photos. Put it down on paper whilst its fresh in your head.
It will be decided either between insurers or a judge on
1. Your statement of events
2. Their statement
3. Any witnesses
4. what an assessor sees based on vehicle damage.

One thing is certain.
There is absolutely no need ,and indeed it is illegal (though gardai admit they rarely do anything about it) to block traffic with two safely driveable cars if each driver is capable of doing so.

Back