Procedure for MRI

onway

Am due to have MRI soon and was wondering what the procedure was.Is it a hospital gown job???Have been told that I need two MRI's - brain and spine - does one scan not do your whole body??

Hi there,

I only had a brain one done. Are you getting them done on different days? Could be the type of scanner.

Yes, hospital gown, but not as bad as it sounds. Basically, you wait (ages), then they bring you into a room to get changed into a gown, then you get the scan done, change again and go home.

The MRI itself was ok - I found the physical restraint more unsettling than anything, but the noise was something else. Brain one took about 10 minutes - I could hear the scanner moving slowly around each area of my head.

There will be a gown. All jewellery will be removed as you will be in a very strong magnetic field.
It will be boring, a bit noisy and can be a bit cramped. One will should do both brain and neck, just takes a bit longer.
Let your doctor know if you suffer from clausterphobia, also if you have any metalwork in the body or metal fragments in the eye

Last edited:
I had a brain MRI done recently in Clane. No hospital gown, just ordinary clothes. No jewellery. Lasted for 16 mins exactly. Noisy and constraining (head is in a brace type contraption and cannot move it) but had a buzzer in my hand and told to press it if I felt claustraphobic and needed them to stop. Didn't need to but was assuring that I could press it if I needed to. Just closed my eyes and tried to focus on other things. You will be fine. :)

Thanks for that everyone . Have been told that I will need to stay in hospital overnight or VHI will not pay - is there any way around this that does not involve paying??? With the pressure on hospital beds ,is this not a ridiculous waste of resources?

I have had 2 MRI scans. Both were in my favour.

Yes they are traumatic because one is always anticipating the worst. But, the staff are generally good to put you at your ease. I mentioned somewhere on AAM that Leonard Cohen was my musical choice of those offered. So long Marianne seemed apt.:)

I have had one in Barrington's in Limerick and the other in Vincent's private in Dublin.

I was given a time and the MRI took place at that exact time. There was no waiting around.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to bring the CD of your choice to the hospital?

Marion

Thanks for that everyone . Have been told that I will need to stay in hospital overnight or VHI will not pay - is there any way around this that does not involve paying??? With the pressure on hospital beds ,is this not a ridiculous waste of resources?

VHI paid for mine and had it done as day procedure.

I had one done in open MRI thingy in Beacon Clinic. VHI didn't pay but BUPA would have. didn't bother me as was in so much pain would've accepted amputation at that point.

Hi,

I had one a month ago on my knee.
I had to take off all clothes and jewellery (since there is a strong magnetic field), and put on a hospital gown (wasnt sure whether to put the gap at the back or the front!).

The MRI machine was in giant cage (the size of a room) and they strapped me into the machine, so that i wouldnt move and blur the readings.
It took 40mins. The nurse said most people fall asleep, but I cant imagine how, since it makes a racket!
When removed all jewellery, I forgot to take off my metal-rimmed glasses, but the nurse said it didnt matter.
I left the hospital straight afterwards, and came back the next day for the results.
The overall experience was fine.

Sandrabing - Just wondering if it is long since you had your MRI done ???Am having mine in Bon Secours Galway as well and they tell me I have to stay.

One thing is that these are fairly confined spaces. If you are on the larger size they can be quite restrictive. I had to have one and the top of my chest was brushing the roof so if you are on the big side take the valium if offered.

Another problem I had was I was in severe pain with my back and it was going into spasm. All I kept hearing from the technician was to try and keep still which is kinda difficult if you are in pain. It helps if you are as relaxed as possible.

Personally I hated it although it was neccessary as i had severe disk problems and could hardly walk.

had an MRI in Beaumont Hospital last week. Had told them I was a bit claustrophobic and they agreed to give me sedation. But the sedation didn't really have any effect and i was quite jittery beforehand so they allowed a relative to come in and sit beside me holding on to my foot which made me very secure and i just closed my eyes before the cage thing was put over my head - i didn't open them until the scan was over - 15 mins.

Back